• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I Think I Saw Heaven !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Auctioning all spring summer and fall can be one of the most interesting ways to meet new and unusual people. Ebay autions are ok, and even sometimes fun, But theres nothing like live in person bidding and buying lol.

So, Anyway. I am out previewing items this past weekend and notice a guy about my age (40s-50s) Checking inside the back panel of an old wurlitzer organ to see what gems might be present.

We strike up a conversation about valves, And he mentions his 20,000 Tube collection. Me being Mr Skeptic, I get his card, We decide to hook up later in the evening.

OK, so i pull up at his place, He says follow me out back, Sweet, a 3 car 2 story garage? OK we walk in and the first floor has shelf after shelf of Vintage mono blocks, Vintage amps, preamps, And speakers. OK, Im needless to say fairly impressed, What was really amazing, All units were in perfect new or better condition! 2 entire walls of shelves!!

I turn around And Bam, Theres an entire wall of bakelite radios, Old Tweeds All restored Polished and Damn, Its impossible to come up with the proper words to even come close to explaining the quality.

He laughs, Says,, hey,, Lets go upstairs to the Valve vault and listen to a few tunes.

I get to the top of the stairs, My Jaw Drops!! My guess,, more like 50,000 Tubes, And not unboxed junk, or Old pulls, Im talking Full flats!! Im Talking and entire wall of European Valves, Cases of sleeves Rca, Mullards, Amperex, Every Antique Tube imaginable.

3 hours later, I still havent put a dent in the old avertising art from tube companies, The Old Signs,Ect. Just to organize the collection had to of taken 2 years.

So, anyway, I talked him into letting me come back next week with y camera. I have to get you guys pictures of this place!

Oh,, No,, i didnt wake up and realize i was drooling in my sleep. LOL I cant imagine even the best meusem even comig close to this display.

I'll report back ASAP with pictures,
Gene

Wow! That is some collection!

That reminds me of the first time I walked into a local surplus place..
Not quite like your amazing find,but there were boxes of tubes,transformers,etc.etc..
He's since moved and in the storefront has bins of common tubes all arranged along a back wall,and sidewall.. a shelf of transformers,lots of old CRT's for nearly any scope on earth,Old radios,HAM gear,test equipment...And a basement and garage full of tubes and more stuff also! I can't even estimate the number of tubes-Tons!

Oh no

All very nice, but if you think of his well being please keep his name and address a SECRET for his sake.. You may be putting his tubes in danger with a picture and some professional steal by order may know where to get them(as seen on TV).. I hope I worry too much! Please try all possible caution not to make public where the tubes are nor hints....well this is non of my business anyway..sorry..

The Butcher:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.