• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

project suggestion with spare trans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have extra set of power trans and SE output trans from my darling project.
The output trans is rated 5watts and the pt output is 200v. The trans are custom-made, wax-potted and has very good freq response up to 50k.
I am considering a 2A3 project with these, or maybe exotic tubes. Any suggestions?

p/s- Initially I wanted to build a 300B with these, but I am guessing the rated power is not enough to be used.

There are some nice low power triodes which are quite cheap. You don't state the Primary impedence of the OPT so you could chose between:
12B4 Ra 1
6CK4 Ra 1.2
6AH4 Ra 1.8
6S4A Ra 3.7

As you go up the Ra you may need to use pairs - certainly the case with 6S4A. As stated, multiple 6SN7 or 6J5GT are also ideas - I've heard those in outputs and they are very sweet and clear. 6J5GT are very cheap, and you can use 7N7 instead of 6SN7. 2C22/7193 would be fantastic, and they're not expensive. Of all the above, that would probably give you the best sound, but you'd need a few and some top caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.