• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dynaco ST70 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! I have descided to make a replica of the classic Dynaco ST70, i was lucky enough that the OPTs i ordered is the same anode-anode Z as the original st70 OPTs:) I´m going to order a few sockets, anode connectors for the EL38:s, two 7199 tubes and a resistor kit. Heres the schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What do you think ?

Since you're using different iron and a pentode configuration, you'll have to change the feedback (R15-C5) and compensation (R1-C9). That will take some time with a square wave generator, an oscilloscope, and lots of trim parts. But it's not too difficult if you keep your wits about you and your hands away from nasty voltages (I noticed you don't have any bleeder resistors. Naughty, naughty!).

Also, you'll want to stabilize the screen voltage, either with a regulator (best), zener with cap bypass (OK), or just a bypass cap (barely acceptable). That's the main reason IMO that pentodes have gotten a bad rap- poor screen regulation severely compromises performance.

I dident care to draw out bleeders in the schemo. On the amp the output stage will be UL, i just drew it this way as the OPT model doesent have any UL taps. Whats the diff between the dynaco OPT and the hammond OPTs i ordered? The plate to plate resistance (impedance?) Z is the same, 4.3k. Different iron type ?

I haven't used the Hammond so can't give you specifics, but transformers vary widely from one type to another. Despite basic impedance (turns ratio) being the same, the frequency response and section to section coupling is likely to be different than original Dynaco. So you'll definitely want to experiment with the compensation and feedback to get the amp stable and clean.

One of the Audio Engineering reprint books from Old Colony has a great article by Norman Crowhurst on how to refit an output transformer- I'd highly recommend that you give it a read.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.