Russian tubes. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2002, 09:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Russian tubes.

From Russia with love.

Since I left the audio scene around the mid nineties a few "new" tubes have hit the market coming in from mother Russia.
6C19P comes to mind for use in OTL circuits,cathode followers and valve regs as a series pass.
6H30P seemed "the " candidate for preamp,driver and what have you.
Then (and I should probably have put it first chronologically) there is this super 6C33C.
I forget some for simplicity's sake here.
And before there was even more variety which we might only see in smallish quantities.
My question to you all is,are there any that you would consider as exceptional? I mean for a particular purpose related to audio of course..I don't need to hear about the vageries of the tube trade here...

Thks all,
Old 27th August 2002, 12:19 AM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
I'm going to be getting some 6P1P's soon, I'll let you know how they are..

(it's a small noval pentode.. seems kinda similar to 6AQ5/6V6)
Old 27th August 2002, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Senior Member

Colt 45,

Sorry to spoil the fun but the one you're talking about is close to 6V6 .If you're into the guitar amp scene it's not bad.

Thks anyway all comment is welcome,

Cheers (Gee,sounds like that soap),
Old 27th August 2002, 03:03 AM   #4
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
i know it is close to a 6v6 !

hehe

but seriously, I wouldnt mind doing a OTL with 6C33C (although thats more money )
Old 27th August 2002, 05:13 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I got a bunch of 6N1Ps to try out. A good place to go browse thru data sheets of Russian tubes is http://www.tubes.ru/HiFiAudio.html .

dave
Old 27th August 2002, 11:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Colt45,

I wouldnt mind doing a OTL with 6C33C

Go for it ,if you need a powerhouse like that but check around.I hear they're prone to failure and have wide dispersions.
They need a lot of drive to get them swinging too.

Dave,

Thks for the url.It's about time they sorted out the nomenclature though.
Old 27th August 2002, 12:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Russian tubes.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
6C19P comes to mind for use in OTL circuits,cathode followers and valve regs as a series pass.
6C19 is basically half of a 6080 from what I've been told. I have some, but lack a suitable circuit to try them in. I've also read of people using them in SETs and as linestage amps.
Quote:
6H30P seemed "the " candidate for preamp,driver and what have you.
Excellent tube in both common cathode and cascode circuits in preamps. Can make a good driver epspecially for DHTs, but personally I prefer the ECC99 so far. Very linear, can take about 7W, even though rated for 5, and according to a comment made by Victor K of BAT, can pulse something like 6A (yes amps) in radar applications. Also made tough enough that it can be used as an anti-tank round. I have about 20 nice matched -EB and -DRs in my stash
Quote:
super 6C33C.
I <i>beleive</i> this is equivalent to both halves of a 6080 in parallel. Grunty, low voltage, high current tube but the curves don't look that linear to me. Compensates by being able to use a lower ratio OPT or autoformer.
Quote:
My question to you all is,are there any that you would consider as exceptional? I mean for a particular purpose related to audio of course
<b>6C45/6S45:</b> Awesome little driver, preamp and even phono stage tube, similar to a 437.

<b>GM13/813:</b> 125W plate transmitting tetrode that's very well made. Great triode connected for 25/50W SE/PP amp and much easier to drive than an 845. Amazing linearity as a triode. Cheap too.

<b>GM70:</b> Supposedly similar to the 845, but the curves don't look like it to me. Nevertheless, excellent DHT power tube well liked by many. Has a 20V 3A heater.

<b>GK71:</b> Another big transmitting tetrode like the 813, but even cheaper, and the couple of reports I've heard is it makes a good triode. Also direct heated.

<b>7586:</b> Nuvistor. I have some, intending to use them in a phono stage but never got around to it, so I don't know how they sound.

<b>6C41:</b> A big triode I've rad others have successfully used in poweramps.

<b>6H23-EB:</b> A 6922 sub. I have a lot of NOS military ones I like a lot.

<b>GM100:</b> HUGE triode, about the size of a football. Makes a 100W SE amp if you have the power supply for it.

<b>5S8C:</b> Big IDH diode rectifier for high voltage, high current applications.

I know there are others, and I'll post them as I think of them if someone else doesn't before.

Cheers
Old 27th August 2002, 12:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
I got a bunch of 6N1Ps to try out. A good place to go browse thru data sheets of Russian tubes is http://www.tubes.ru/HiFiAudio.html .

dave
I am currently using these to make an headphone amplifier.
Old 27th August 2002, 04:12 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Thks for the url.It's about time they sorted out the nomenclature though.
It all makes sense if you know the Cyrillic alphabet -- it is people trying to romanize the numbers that screws w the nomenclature.

ie 6H30 H is pronounced "en" in cyrillic.

6C45Pi C is "es" P is often subbed for the "pi" symbol

dave
Old 27th August 2002, 04:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Default RUSSIAN TUBES

Hi Dave,

You know that,I know that.Still what I meant is that these people should sort out once and for all to opt for one or the other.
There is little point in posting both possible references on the same page,wouldn't you agree ?
Divide et impera?
No big deal really but just imagine our young audiophile ordering ?
Imagine his/her surprise when he/she finds out half of that 10K order involves equivalents?
Nobody THAT stupid? I've seen worse.

**Do you care to comment on Brett's input?
This was the kind of info I was asking for.(I'll comment on it later,need to dash.)

Rgds you all,

Hide this!Advertise here!