• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

100V trannies as valve OPT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
**************CRITICAL**************************
********BEGINNERS, FORGET ABOUT ATTEMPTING THIS*******
****READ THE WARNING AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS THREAD BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS ....IT CAN EASILY KILL YOU IF YOU ARE A NOVICE WITH HIGH VOLTAGES**** (ALWAYS CHECK WITH A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN OR SOMEONE INTIMATELY EXPERIENCED AND QUALIFIED IN DEALING WITH HIGH VOLTAGES)********

After stumbling across one hell of an excellent site a year or so ago about valve tech and older electronics... http://www.alphalink.com.au/~cambie/ ... (i guess a few people here know this site very well ;-) ) ... Has anyone else had any experiences in using 100V speaker trannies as output transformers ? .... after reading the project about using 6AN8's, EL84's and "odd" output trannies, it inspired me to try a 100V transformer in a low wattage guitar amp (namely a WES Electronics FD100 100V speaker trannie ...rated at 25W and priced at $9.50 (trade)) using some ebay 6BM8's in pushpull (for maybe 8W max). Following the same testing as Paul did with the Altronics transformer (and testing the winding insulation to 600V...don't take this as fact for any transformer of this model !!!!!...individual transformers may have windings that break down at far less a voltage) , this transformer pretty much had the symmetry (being optimistic) for an ultralinear amp and for the very least (decently high enough input impedance and symmetry at the outer...er....input taps) , a basic AB push-pull one. I have been testing this amp for the past year or so through an 8 ohm Celestion Vintage 30 open box (sensitivity...um...high... at least high 90'sdB i guess) speaker under some fairly arduous conditions (yeah, the neighbours do complain often). The manufacturers of this particular trannie claim it is grain oriented (it is really small in size) and i have yet to test it to its rated power ....maybe some EL34's one day (sorry....just dreaming :ashamed: ) ..... The bottom line being, has anyone else found any mass produced and cheap 100V trannies suitable for valve amps ?

*********USING TRANSFORMERS ABOVE THEIR RATED VOLTAGE CAN AND WILL LEAD TO WINDING INSULATION BREAKDOWN ....******UNLESS PROPERLY EARTHED, A CHASSIS CAN POTENTIALLY BECOME LIVE USING ANY TRANSFORMER ABOVE ITS RATED VOLTAGE******

sorry about the suck eggs stuff for some, it does always pay to be careful

Hi i use 100 v trannies sometimes for simple se amps with low power output with PCL 86 or similar tubes. Works pretty good you cant compare them to real trannies, as far as the 100 v trannies dont have a gap in the core. so lets say nice for cheap amps but not hifi or high-end at all. If you want a pretty good 100v trannie try to get the monacor Tr175. Best regards Thorsten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.