(RCA) 6SN7 GTC spec? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default (RCA) 6SN7 GTC spec?

I recently purchased a RCA 6SN7 GTC metal envelope tube. I am familiar with 6SN7 GT, GTA or GTB; however, I am not able to find any spec regarding GTC? Does anyone know the differece of GTC compare to GTA or GTB?

This photo is here.

Thanks,Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th April 2005, 10:58 PM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
can't say i've heard of GTC. Looks like a relatively recent run though, judging by the box.

Looks like a jan box.. so there should be an acceptance date (sometimes just says "A" and then a date.. )

could be a 1980's revision or something, that has little more difference than the name or something.. i dont know.
Old 7th April 2005, 11:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you sure that it is a metal tube? why would a metal tube have the GTC (Glass Tubular, revision C) designation. Also, the base looks different (shorter, with a ring around the bottom where the metal envelope clamps on) on the metal tubes I have seen. The base lookslike that a glass tube would have. Are you sure it is a metal tube and not just a glass tube with internal frosting?
Old 8th April 2005, 12:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I recall seeing a "metal" 6SQ7 that contained a 6AV6 glass tube inside - made in Brazil if I recall correctly - maybe this is similar?
Old 8th April 2005, 12:47 AM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

That really looks like a glass tube. I have to agree with Dr. Photon here.

-Chris
Old 8th April 2005, 05:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you sure that it is a metal tube?
Yes, I know GT represent "Glass Tube"; however, they really are metal tube. I have receive them and they are made in Brazil. It is very musical and with good bass on my SE amp...

I have a more detailed looks here:
http://www.penguinlovers.net/audio/rca_6sn7gtc_2.jpg

Thomas
Old 8th April 2005, 06:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default metal 6sn7

Hi all,

Tomchaoda is right. These RCA 6SN7M do really exist and as there name already indicates....the M stands for "metal".

Last year i bought a quad at Ebay. Nobody new what they were....the name did not ring any bells. So i bought them quite cheap. The postage from the USA to the Netherlands were higher !

The metal container is quite lightweight, but not uncommon with tubes. The complete metal body made it possible to discard the glass inard container. So the total tube is actually light. And there is NO glass inside.

Soundwise they're nice tubes. Not as good as Tung-Sol VT-231 roundplates (love the bass), or the Sylvania 6SN7W as pictured beside the RCA 6SN7M but on the same level as early RCA's or Ken-Rad's.
They are really better then young Sylvanias (aarrghhh..coinbase) or glass RCA's from the same date.

So yes: i like this Brazilian variety.

I do have to agree with Colt45 on the date: all my 4 tubes have a "D75" imprint. 1975 ?

regards,
Reinout
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3224.jpg (59.8 KB, 88 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!