• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Using PP output transformers for single ended amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the difference between PP and SE output transformers? I have a couple of PP ones but I am eying up a couple of SET projects....

Or, would it be possible to put a couple of transformers in series for a higher power rating in a mono amp? I am also thinking of using these for a PP subwoofer amp.... The trannies are rated at 10W, would I be able to rock 20W from a pair in series? Or would that cause "issues"?

So many options :D

Hi ShiFty

There is a big difference in the core of PP and single ended transformers. Single ended transformers have a controlled gap in the core to prevent core saturation caused by the DC current in the primary. PP trans. don't thave this gap. PP transformers are designed with a center taped primary and depend on equal and opposite curent flow in each half of the primary to null out the magnetic field of the idol current. This keeps the core from saturating.

For the sub project use then in parallel, not series. That should work OK.

Good luck; Bruce

ShiFtY,

HDTVman is right, PP-Xformers do not have air gaps. This means the trannie which can handle 50Watt PP maybe can handle 500mW SE, probably only 50mW.

My hint: keep the PP trannie for a future tube subwoofer amp project and buy a SE trannie suiting your needs.
Or build a fullrange PP amp.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ShiFtY said:
Or, would it be possible to put a couple of transformers in series for a higher power rating in a mono amp? I am also thinking of using these for a PP subwoofer amp.... The trannies are rated at 10W, would I be able to rock 20W from a pair in series? Or would that cause "issues"?

Bill Perkins has a paper on Twinning PP OPTs that might be helpful.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.