• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to test a tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If it does not work at all, the power supply is bad.

The power supply is simple. You should have HIGH VOLTAGE A.C. on one side of the rectifier tube, HIGH VOLTAGE D.C. on the other side. Figure out which tube is the rectifier (it might not have a tube rectifier) and look-up the pin connections. And be careful.

Well the power suppply is ok but it won(t start as some resistor and do on are missing .

I have to check everything, change the bad resistor , most of caps should be changed but do not know how to check the tube to see what has to be replaced this is my problem by now .

ger56

Hi !

Yes tubes may be bad .. or may be not !
Testing tubes outside your amp means using a tube tester, and if you have not, it's simpler to check voltages against the schematic.

Here is what I've found about Sansui AU111:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/fr/audio/sansui.htm

If this can help ....

Does the tube glows ?
If not, what is voltage at pins 4, 5 and 9 ?

What is the voltage at the tube's anode ?

... just to start ...

Yves.

Thank you yves

In fact I am french from Paris .

I will check the output once I change the resistor and others in order to start .

In fact I have the schematic for the amp!

Just wanted to know if there is a way to test tube without havig a tube tester ? continuity or something like .

Regards

Gerard

Same subject:

The question have been asked earlier, but I could not find a clear answer:

Are there any method to test a tube without a tube tester, any of the parameters?

I am bussy repairing an old stereo Sansui radio/amp combo, using ECL82 tubes. The 1 old set of tubes I got , work well on both channels. I bought another set, which turned bright orange after 3 minutes. Took back to tube guy and exchanged for another "new" set. Now I notice a blue glow between the plates of both new tubes. All voltages compares correct to the service manual.

Any suggestions on this problem and tube testing?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Normal failure in a tube creates lower to no current flow. Odd times elements may short, but the plate will have burn or "cook" marks on it. The best way to check a tube is in circuit and measure the terminal voltages.
Other parts will get you more often. Coupling caps are prime here. Run the unit up with no tubes (except rectifier) to about 70% ac voltage. The grids should measure 0V. Some power tubes are biased with a negative voltage. Some regulators "float" at some positive voltage.

With negative supplies for outputs, look at the ripple. There should be none.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.