• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Advantage of Valve Preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old Technics Integrated amp that works quite well that I picked up for $10. Its 75watts RMS per channel, its plugged into my computer which I used to play cd's and mp3. Now I was looking through the Jaycar catalog and they have a nice little Valve pre-amp kit thats looks really nice and I would like to buy it just to experiment. I was just wondering if there would be any advantage of plugging this inline with my intergrated amp? I know it already has a pre-amp inside it and im asuming my sound car would too, so what could I use this Valve pre-amp for? Is it worth spending $90 on?? Thanks for your help :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Which JayCar kit... there was a discussion about such a unit in another thread. If it is the same one, then i'd recommend against it...

What does the pre-amp section of the Technics look like? Can you easily get at just the poweramp -- or would you need to do surgery?

Replacing the pre section of the technics with a good tube pre could well give better results -- if you actually need the pre given that the signal out of your PeeCee can probably drive the power amp section directly.

dave

If you search for an exact phrase from one of those articels in google and click on the link you can see the whole article. :D

Do you people think it sounds like a decent Valve Pre-Amp? Could i have an advantage replacing the pre-amp in my integrated amp with those tube amps or would it just look cool? :D Btw, my amp is a Technics SU-Z15.

Preamp are not needed unless you wants to do some 'processing' for the signal. For example, to produce balanced signal, tone/volume control, impedance matching, channel mixing, etc..

If you are a hi-fi nut, you might want a linestage to give warmth to your solid state gear. Thats what I do (even though im not hi-fi nut)

If you are going to ask 'what am i going to do with this valve preamp...', just forget about getting one.

But if you have money to burn, it is always nice to try something. I would recommend the 5687 'audionote' preamp which is good AND dirt cheap (isnt it amazing this comes together?):D :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.