• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Safety with high volts: 101

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rick57 said:
Objectivity = many persons’ views, balancing different (sometimes) extremes

Hmmm...and here I thought DIYers were like snowflakes - every one with unique tastes and preferences. I refuse to be a statistic.

It follows that by using a Bell curve to make choices you'll end up with an average (pun intended) sounding system! :smash:

rick57 said:
But let's not get distracted from then pioint of the thread

Pot -> Kettle -> Black

You were distracted first - SY used the "B" word and your next post had nothing to do with the thread subject. :D

jeff mai said:

Because the OPT with a 10K primary impedance and makes 20Hz-20kHz with a type 10 will have a superior core, winding geometry, or both. Working with the same core and winding geometry but with a lower turns ratio for say, a 6528, will result in wider bandwidth due to reduced leakage inductance and shunt capacitance.

On topic, Rick, have you read the safety thread at the top of this page?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30172

Jeff: Why compare? No need if you're satisfied with "good enough."

Rick, though it is possible to design/build a HV amp that's usable and safe in a domestic environment, I personally would be nervous sourcing it from China. There's no real product liability protection and Chinese gear is generally built to be as inexpensive as possible within the design constraints. Safety at high voltages is expensive.

Getting back on topic now...

My main concern is the low price you quoted to me privately. You can't buy a pair of Chinese 845s for that price in AUS - let alone a completed amp. I knew Chinese labour was cheap, but I don't think the workers actually pay for the privilege of working! Are you sure it isn't a replica made out of chocolate? :lickface:

> It follows that by using a Bell curve to make choices you'll end up with an average (pun intended) sounding system!

How disparaging to a very useful approach. :mad:

No suggestion of an ‘everyday’ Bell curve, but a BC sampled from people with good experience. :angel:

Sorry that you see yourself as solid water :umbrella:, rather than a quasi elite organic thing – did you not take those tablets?
Just because we may use statistics, doesn’t mean we can’t express unique preferences. :cubist:

> You were distracted first - SY used the "B" word and your next post had nothing to do with the thread subject.
OK, distracted again. Hey I’m a lateral thinker! :wave2s:

> Pot -> Kettle -> Black
If you wish to scrub yourself up a little, perhaps you could express your logical view on whether one really needs to operate the volume control of a cheap amp with thick rubber gloves, or if thongs will suffice? :att'n:

> Why? I say horses for courses!
Is there an eel in your genealogy? :Popworm:

>Rick, have you read the safety thread at the top of this page?
I hadn’t when I stared, but I since have. There’s hope for me yet.

The forum lawyer had a good idea when he suggested that. For this who missed it, I hope he signed the cheque for public liability insurance too.

> I meant why compare...not *WHY*

Jeff, perhaps you have temporarily forgotten that we are attempting to use logic and experience to assist the ignorant, “logic limited” :whazzat: an/ or inexperienced.

This places a burden of responsibility on the former, who must be benevolent, or set out terms and conditions, or just like flaunting their knowledge, sometimes imperiously, eg t . . (my lawyer advised me to sop) :Pumpkin:

Cheers

SY said:
No need if you're satisfied with "good enough."

Tango X-10SF 40Watts@30Hz 10k 20Hz ~ 55kHz -2db (From memory I think the FR is stated at much more than a nominal power level, but I can't find any backup on that.) Looks better than "good enough" to me. Cheap it ain't, however. Rick could buy 5 of the 845 amps he mentioned for less than what a pair of these cost.

> My main concern is the low price you quoted to me privately.

For all:
I heard you could buy Yarland brand integrated tube amps (there are about eight models) made in Shanghai, and sold via ebay from Hong Kong for $US 196; and about $US 120 in China.

> You can't buy a pair of Chinese 845s for that price in AUS - let alone a completed amp.
I would (uneducated) guess you could buy a pair of Chinese 845s in China for $40(??).

> I don't think the workers actually pay for the privilege of working! Are you sure it isn't a replica made out of chocolate?
Sure hard to believe, but guys in HK who’ve been across the border say so. Check ebay, it says “us with fan - only 50% Swiss chocolate”.

> Rick could buy 5 of the 845 amps he mentioned for less than . .
Rick is now looking for cheap China freight companies. If you see tube amps on ebay with a banner “Ricky Yarland – sweet but not too dark – yo can’t say no” I may have found my calling in life.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73369&item=5760252136&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW :hot:
Damn - price gone up $100! :mad:
How will I ever be the Nelson Bunker Hunt of tube amps??
:confused:

rick57 said:
How disparaging to a very useful approach.

No suggestion of an ‘everyday’ Bell curve, but a BC sampled from people with good experience.

It's not an approach I've found generally useful. In general, I find it much more common to dislike another's system (be it expensive, thoughtfully assembled, DIY - it doesn't matter) upon hearing it, than to like it. Over the internet, you rely on someone *talking* about their system - one that you probably wouldn't like if you heard it! Although you might say it's better than nothing, from a certain viewpoint it seems utterly ridiculous.

I find it more useful to ignore certain types of talk (and not extreme talk - it's actually the most common sort) and pay close attention to other types (much more rare.) This is the antithesis of statistics. I'm arbitrarily throwing away data!

rick57 said:
Jeff, perhaps you have temporarily forgotten that we are attempting to use logic...

Another person missing my admittedly ill-communicated point.

I questioned the comparison because one is not compelled to accept a compromise. It was correctly stated that a lower turns ratio has higher bandwidth, but it was not stated that you could get better than acceptable bandwidth using the higher turns ratio. If the lower turns ratio gets you to 100kHz vs 50kHz, do you get any benefit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.