Comments on Transcendent Sound products - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2005, 12:25 PM   #1
sberube is offline sberube  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Comments on Transcendent Sound products

Has anybody had the chance to build and/or hear a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp. I'm having a hard time finding review (except of course on their own website) on the product. I'm interested in building a kit preamp (as very first project) and it seems easy enough to put together. I'm actually looking for a preamp kit to match with a Quad 405-2 (for now) so if you have any other suggestions (I've already had a look at the STA1 and the foreplay)

http://www.transcendentsound.com/preamp%20kit.htm

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th March 2005, 01:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think some comments are on www.audioasylum.com/forums/otl/bbs.html
that I've seen 2-3 quite positive short 'reviews'.

Search all forums (there are 4 for tubes).

Otherwise try Google

Cheers
Old 30th March 2005, 02:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i built a grounded grid preamp, and like it very much. it's pretty easy for a novice builder, and hey, if you screw up, the parts are inexpensive and easily available. it can be built for < $150 if you skip boutique parts. obviously, the kit is significantly more expensive but that is pcb-based and really foolproof. one issue: if you're using it with a solid-state amp, you will want to add an output muting relay or else you must let the preamp warm up (10-15 sec) before turning on your amp - as the pre's caps charge, they send a very low freq (~1hz) thump. i think i really tested my speakers' Xmax when i forgot about this and had it plugged into my 200wpc ss amp. this is not an issue if you use a tube amp.
Old 30th March 2005, 04:09 PM   #4
sberube is offline sberube  United States
diyAudio Member

Errr. so where exactly did you find the info to build one might I ask? I was seriously considering the kit, but being that you mentionned it can be built for less than half the price of the kit, I would rather give it a shot all by myself (with help from friends who actually know about this stuff).

Thanks.
Old 30th March 2005, 04:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

as far as i know, the schematic & instructions are only available in his book, 'audio reality'. IMO, the book is only 'OK' and the author nearly breaks his arm patting himself on the back, but the GG schem is worth it and there are other projects as well, including his OTL which is quite highly regarded (though it's not really suitable for beginners).

Hide this!Advertise here!