• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Comments on Transcendent Sound products

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody had the chance to build and/or hear a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp. I'm having a hard time finding review (except of course on their own website) on the product. I'm interested in building a kit preamp (as very first project) and it seems easy enough to put together. I'm actually looking for a preamp kit to match with a Quad 405-2 (for now) so if you have any other suggestions (I've already had a look at the STA1 and the foreplay)

http://www.transcendentsound.com/preamp kit.htm

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

i built a grounded grid preamp, and like it very much. it's pretty easy for a novice builder, and hey, if you screw up, the parts are inexpensive and easily available. it can be built for < $150 if you skip boutique parts. obviously, the kit is significantly more expensive but that is pcb-based and really foolproof. one issue: if you're using it with a solid-state amp, you will want to add an output muting relay or else you must let the preamp warm up (10-15 sec) before turning on your amp - as the pre's caps charge, they send a very low freq (~1hz) thump. i think i really tested my speakers' Xmax when i forgot about this and had it plugged into my 200wpc ss amp. this is not an issue if you use a tube amp.

Errr. so where exactly did you find the info to build one might I ask? :) I was seriously considering the kit, but being that you mentionned it can be built for less than half the price of the kit, I would rather give it a shot all by myself (with help from friends who actually know about this stuff).

Thanks.

as far as i know, the schematic & instructions are only available in his book, 'audio reality'. IMO, the book is only 'OK' and the author nearly breaks his arm patting himself on the back, but the GG schem is worth it and there are other projects as well, including his OTL which is quite highly regarded (though it's not really suitable for beginners).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.