Asc Oil Capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2005, 05:44 AM   #1
MlinarS is offline MlinarS  Canada
diyAudio Member

Question Asc Oil Capacitors

Hello,
As stated on the ASC site polypropylene in oil capacitors model X386S-20-10-440 and X386S-50-10-440 are rated 440 VAC. My question is, can they be safely used in PSU at 550 VDC. Does any of you have experiance with this capacitors in this situation? TIA for the input.
Old 30th March 2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Asc Oil Capacitors

Quote:
Originally posted by MlinarS
... polypropylene in oil capacitors model X386S-20-10-440 and X386S-50-10-440 are rated 440 VAC..., can they be safely used in PSU at 550 VDC....

Hi,
I just built a PS with a B+ of 425VDC using ASC caps rated at 370VAC. Peak voltage before everything stabilizes hits about 510VDC. I'm using valve rectification and voltage goes slowly from 0 to 510-520VDC then drops pretty quickly back to 425.

The supplier I purchased the caps from indicated an ASC cap rated at 370VAC could be used in DC circuits up to about 600VDC. I don't think that 550VDC would stress a 440VAC cap.
Old 30th March 2005, 04:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Sherman,
I tought that to. I read somwhere that VDC=VAC x 1.41, but I wasn't realy sure.
Some people say that this capacitors don't sound so good at first but they improve over time. What is your experiance in that regard? Thanks.
Old 31st March 2005, 03:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...I read somwhere that VDC=VAC x 1.41, but I wasn't realy sure.
Some people say that this capacitors don't sound so good at first but they improve over time...
Since rectifying AC (using SS rectifiers) generally results in DC voltage of about 1.41 x the AC voltage that is probably a good rule of thumb for using with the caps.

Maybe I wasn't listening closely enough at the beginning but I thought the amps sounded just fine with them from the start. I only have about 70 or 80 hours on them now so they are still pretty new. I would think that with new tubes, new trafos etc. it might be hard to pick out the effects of the caps.
Old 31st March 2005, 03:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sherman
Old 31st March 2005, 02:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Sherman
No problem. Sorry I couldn't confirm/deny the effect on sound. Unlike many here I apparently have "iron ears" rather than golden ears. Still I like to listen to music and am enjoying my amps.

Hide this!Advertise here!