regaring 833se - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2005, 09:22 AM   #1
wasibi is offline wasibi  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to wasibi Send a message via MSN to wasibi Send a message via Yahoo to wasibi
Default regaring 833se

Anybody there bro have any 300b drive the 833 se circuit diagram to share,thanks
Old 30th March 2005, 09:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Not exactly what you asked for but close. 805 is similar, a step down in power. But gets driven by 300b. (input tube (13d3) b+ is 200v not 388v. typo) and pre driver is now 12bh7. The way this is set up i get 10mv peak to peak of noise/hum at the spearker terminals, very good low noise for a SET.

Cheers George
Attached Images
File Type: gif george-805 no logo.gif (26.9 KB, 388 views)
Old 31st March 2005, 05:27 AM   #3
garbage is offline garbage  Singapore
diyAudio Member

nice to see someone attempting insane voltages.

i thought of doing the same, but the highish idle wattage puts me off. especially in sunny singapore.

here's a thread on this forum that is a good read if you decide to build this amp.

happy diying.
Old 1st April 2005, 05:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default 300B - 833

Hello Wasibi,

as "Garbage" correctly noted: these triodes do get warm. Last winter when i listened....the central heating was not switched on. The amplifiers did that job as well..... And i live in chilly-and-wet Netherlands.

Nevertheless these 833's do give a wonderfull sound. Never overpowering or dominant, but just everything perfectly in order. And the bass is that authorative; never heared that even with the real transistor beasts from Krell or Mark Levinson.

Your question regarding the 300B-833 connection. I use a 4:1 stepdown interstage to get a lowish impendance (833 wants that) and enough feeding power (the 833 needs that).
It's the same reason why Wavac uses a triode connected penthode: to get low impendance !
It works great and there are variations to this theme like using a 6C33C (already a low impendance) for a hgher quality interstage (lower ratio).

And how you use the 300b (what voltage) and how you drive that tube is completely up to you !
The essence is that 300B to 833 is possible using a stepdown interstage.

Lots of building pleasure.

Reinout
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kopie van img_3091.jpg (72.9 KB, 259 views)
Old 2nd April 2005, 05:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Remember always work on theses big triodes with one hand tied firmly behind your back, so your not tempted to use both, this 833 WILL FULLY KILL YOU, where as the 805 WILL ONLY HALF KILL YOU.

Cheers George

Hide this!Advertise here!