• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Speaker tube amp with headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
seems like a couple of 120 ohm 3 watt build out resistors from the transformer secondary plus two of 100 ohm from "hot" to ground/common and a speaker /headphone DPDT should do the trick.

not the most elegant solution but one that should work.

Be aware that you want the output transformer to see a load at all times or you risk damage to it

DigitalJunkie said:
For one of my tube amps I just plug in some 8ohm 10W resistors,with my headphones in parallel....it works great!

I'm sure that is what I would do too if headphones could make my day. Sadly they don't. Listening to music would be a heck of a lot cheaper and take up way less space.

I have a MingDa MC34B tube amp that has a big multi way toggle switch on the side to go to headphone mode. They place large power resistors across the output xfmer secondaries while disconnecting the speakers. I do not know if they also insert some ohmage in series with the phone jack.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.