Guitar overdriven preamp schematics? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2005, 02:17 AM   #1
jsd is offline jsd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar overdriven preamp schematics?

I've been looking for some guitar preamp schematics with little success. I have 4 12AX7 tubes (3x Sylvania, 1x Wurlitzer) that I'd like to use. I'm looking for some good tube distortion, maybe similar to a Marshall. I'll be feeding a solid state amplifier from this, so of course it won't be the same.. but I want to get some of that crunchiness.

I've got a Fender Champ II which sounds good when overdriven, but I need a bit more.

I'm not looking for a lot of overall gain, I can always drop it back down after all the gain stages with a pair of resistors for a voltage divider.

Can I use two wallwarts back to back to get a high enough voltage? I don't know *anything* about designing tube amps (or solid state ones, for that matter).
Old 24th March 2005, 12:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default May be Matchless_hotbox?

http://www.metaleater.narod.ru/matchless_hotbox.pdf
Old 25th March 2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

The McTubeII really overdrives very well, Has a very low parts count and is a fairly easy build. I built and own a couple !!

The McTube Site has a very comprehensive walk-thru on the build, And allows easy variations for modifications of original design. As near a perfect 1st project as I've ever seen.

I have another project that might be worth a shot but is as of yet untested, Basically it is roughly following the McTube mindset on its power source, This schematic goes a few steps further.

Roughly based on Seymour Duncan pre-amp modules*, Tone controls added & Drawn in indivual module stages for easy mods.

You can download it here classicpreamp

The originall idea was to build it for my brothers B-Day as an add-on to his solid state amp, I even went so far as to (ducking eggs and rotten tomatos) Make up the artwork for the printed circuit board.

Well, I set the project aside, And built him a 6AQ5A SE setup and just never got back to the project.

Hopefully I will find time to prototype it soon, then i can finalize & Debug the artwork and schematic.
NOTE, Not intended for beginners.
Gene

* note, there are about 9 interchangable modules with extremely effective tone and distortion/gain factors. Most of which are just value changes. Most can be modded on the same board.
Gene
Old 25th March 2005, 10:32 PM   #4
jsd is offline jsd  United States
diyAudio Member

The last project looks interesting, what rating should the resistors be?
Old 25th March 2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jsd
The last project looks interesting, what rating should the resistors be?
All were 1/4 watt excluding the power suppy resistors which were 2-5 watt.

Mind you everything there is still subject to change during prototyping, This was the original draft.
Gene

Hide this!Advertise here!