RIAA help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2005, 03:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to philipbarrett
Default RIAA help

The network below was designed to be placed after the plate of an EF86. I built the design as a stand-alone on a breadboard (no power), fed it with Pink Noise and compared the input & output using the spectrum analyser in Spectra-Foo
(http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/foo/ - Mac only I'm afraid). I'm a Beta tester for the analyser so I sort of have a clue using it (they hope).

I cannot see any alteration to the original signal except a slight gain loss, I know I am looking at the output correctly as I do see a slight 60Hz bump when the input is disconnected.

Is my circuit incorrect? I presumed it would work as a stand-alone passive filter network. Does it need to "see" the EF86 plate and associated signal ground in order to function correctly? Any input from the diy brain trust would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a mill' anyway.

P : not_sticking_my_tongue_out_short_for_Philip
Attached Files
File Type: pdf riaa network.pdf (10.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 22nd March 2005, 03:45 AM   #2
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

2 questions

1. what is the source impedance?

2. what is the load impedance?

If your using a low impedance function generator the source impedance is most likely 50 ohms. If your using the output of a sound card it could be as low as 8 ohms. For the network shown there needs to be a resistor in series with the input for the circuit to function.

This filter looks like it is designed to drive a high impedance load, something greater than 100k ohms. I don't know what the input impedance of you sound card is but I doubt it is that high.

I hope this helps

bz
Old 22nd March 2005, 04:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You're a genius! Brewski on me!

I put a 150K on the input (before the cap) and voila, I have a slope, 24dB difference between 60Hz & 20KHz. 150K was the first one out of the box, how do I actually calculate what it should be?

According to the Ruskies at Svetlana the EF86 has a plate output impedence of 65K and I will be (eventually) driving the input of a Rozenblit Grounded Grid Pre with input resistors of 10K feeding the grids of 12AU7s with an impedence of ??

Thanks again...

P
Old 22nd March 2005, 02:02 PM   #4
RIP

The value of the input should probably be the tubes plate resistance in parallel with whatever the plate load resistor is in the schematic.

For output impedance, you are generally looking at the volume pot of the linestage. I'm not familiar with the preamp you'll be using, but they usually are 50k, 100k, or 250k.
Old 22nd March 2005, 02:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

FYI, here's what it looks like with a 154K input resistor (blue trace) & a 220K (purple trace).

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riaa on foo.jpg (66.9 KB, 132 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!