• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

noise analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am tetsting the layout included. I have just the powersupply constructed on a wooden chassis. I monitor the secoundary of the OPT
using a oscope for hum. This configuration produces the least amount of hum on the each OPT (5 mv pxp ). My question is when I drag the OPT to where the 2a3 output tube will be I get 25 mv noise. Would this effect the output tube and drivers in any way ?

Attachments

• layouta.jpg
    layouta.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 254
Hi there.......a wooden chassis to poke about with the power supply idea is a reasonable and safeish start....
-> however if you are later going to shift over to a metal plinth you might be disappointed. With any metal chassis there will be minute circulating currents setup from transformers/chokes and with steel sheet it becomes markedly worse..so your layout predictions on wood might become different in reality with metal.
-> Ally is the best bet and is pretty predictable.
A SE design with no nfb....
-> Remember when using a design with nfb, the mutual magnetic coupling between power cores isn't half so bad as the loop reduces the o/p stage working impedances. With SE the in-circuit DC primary current will reduce the stray hum pick up to nearly nil.

-> The o/p tube is rel immune to hum pick up.
-> The golden rule that input tubes should be furthest away from power transformers and even more so with smoothing chokes.......:bigeyes:remember chokes have an airgap (which spews out a massive leakage flux) and are prolific 100Hz/120Hz field producers.....Don't be surprised if the mains tranny has a stray magnetic field leakage less than the smoothing choke.

-> It might be best to shift the choke next to the mains trannyand relayout the input end furthest away from any power magnetics. Same applies to driver tranny. Traditionally, this sits between the input and output tube stages. I'm a bit inclined to keep spare space for rotating the driver transformer...
-> A driver stage transformer then this becomes another critical component for hum pick up. This is more sensitive than the o/p transformer. Why ? because circuit placement is usually at somewhat sensitive pre stage impedances with lower AC flux..
Technically, (if you are) using the secondary of an SE o/p trans for monitoring the hum is not ideal as the gap of an SE o/p tranny is fooling the common mode and behaving like that of the smoothing choke...(wild open for pick up).
You are right to have a crack of trying the predicted layout........but you can also try introducing some small sections of steel sheet to see how the hum pattern changes.

Hope this helps... but the old RF agage that inductors make excellent aerials. Brouse at some traditional designs....

I've rambled on.......time for the nest.

richj

noise

richwalters , I would like to thank you for youre detailed help. I do have a more traditional layout I was considering. One Opt has more hum than other but I dont believe the output or input tubes would be a concern> the thing I dont like is THE SIZE ,with hammond 1627se
the thing looks like a UN conference table.

Drowning in analysis

Attachments

• layoutb.jpg
    layoutb.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 190
Re: noise

the thing looks like a UN conference table.

Drowning in analysis [/B]

Hi there -> don't we all bang our fists on the table..?

this layout is certAINLY better than the previous....I'm tempted to put the choke as close as poss to the mains tranny and a touch inboard (not by much) The rectif pos would still be fine.....the power supply is then fairly compact to keep modulation hum away from input components.
If the choke is on the outside chassis edge........stray cables around the chassis corner can also pick up modulation hum from choke....and create wonderful earth hum loops.

If you can follow all this holler....build it.

richj

noise measurements

when the tube is located in middle and the choke is on one end and mains xfoemer on other the OPT infront of main xformer has 5 mv noise and the OPT infront of choke has 15 mv noise. When the tube is moved to the outside and the choke next to the mains xformer the measurements are the same- no change , one note as observed earlier the chassis is wood and the measurements are taken with the
OPT unloaded ( z of oscope only).

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.