• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Rozenblits Grounded grid preamp layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, I built mine point to point. It was pretty easy.

However, doing an power supply PCB would make things cleaner. Everything else I wired up on a turret board with sockets from tubebuilder.com.

If I find time, I'll do a board for the powersupply just to clean things up.

There are folks on Transcendent's board who have done it. You might ask there.

Re: Re: Rozenblits Grounded grid preamp layout

philipbarrett said:

Yet Rozenblit recommends the use of P-P ??

Philip

Yes I remeber having read something about that somewhere, but my reason for wanting a proven board layout is that this way I hopefully can avoid making silly mistakes or getting into some hum issues as I am quite new to making DIY amps. I have only made a few and not any tube amps.

ultrachrome said:

There are folks on Transcendent's board who have done it. You might ask there.

Thanks. I will try looking at the Transcendent board.

Martin

Yes I remeber having read something about that somewhere, but my reason for wanting a proven board layout is that this way I hopefully can avoid making silly mistakes or getting into some hum issues as I am quite new to making DIY amps. I have only made a few and not any tube amps.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm new too and still grappling with grounding techniques. I could never get my Foreplay to stop humming but the GG came out very quiet on my first try.

The tubebuilder board is kind of overkill for this circuit having twice as many turrets as you really need and given they are in two parallel rows, different turret positions would make this cleaner. As an alternative, you might look at Hoffman Amps. They sell the turret posts and the installation tools so you could make your own point-to-point boards.

Hi ultrachrome.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I will buy the tubebuilder board and use the layout runeight so kindly send me as he has used it with succes and then I hopefully avoid making any mistakes.

Though I would still prefer a PCB, but it seems no one has a layout the can share.

Martin

I think I saw your post on the transcendent board and I'm not suprised you didn't get any offers. To the average transcendent board member it read like you were asking for the PCB layout because you didn't want to buy the kit. They're really protective of Bruce's work over there. I don't think that's what your saying, but it might have looked that way.

There might actually be board members willing to help but you gave them no way to contact you without replying to your post and potentially looking bad in front of other members. I remember the guy who offered me his board layout mentioned that Bruce probably wouldn't like it (plus Bruce just recently lost a close family member). You might follow up your post with something complimentary about Bruce mentioning that you have his book and think he's great or something to endear you to that group and make sure you put your email address in the box provided. It won't be displayed but it will allow board members to respond to you directly.

But really, why so much reluctance to creating your own board layout?

Hi ultrachome.

I have just read my post at the transcendent board and I agree it's not that well written, but that's the problem when you are not using English that much.

Also thanks for the suggestion about placing my email when using the board.

I have actually before posting any thingh about this subject contacted Bruce and told him my situation about having most parts and that I was interested in buying a board without any support.

I probably will be using the tubebilder board and then make a simple board for the PS.

Thanks
Martin

I have almost all plans ready to start build the preamp. Yes I know I am rather slow and it will probably take some months before I am finshed ;) .

I have decided to use turrets post and also p-to-p power supply. Lately I have been wondering if It soundwise and money wise is worth making a CLC or LCLC powersupply? I know this will demand for a whole other power supply and I cannot decide if it's worth investing the time into that when the standard supply already has proven to work out. Please advice me what you think!?

Thanks Martin

Thanks for the replies.

I will probalby try and build it stock first because if I decicde to upgrade to another power supply I have something to compare it with and judge what I find best.

Kmtang: do you have a source for a LC or CLC powersupply with +-200V. If so I would be very happy to get a link to it.

Thanks
Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.