• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fix loose connection in base with solder pot?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old globe 45 that has a loose filament connection in the base. I just bought a solder pot and it occurs to me that this might be useful for fixing the thing because I can heat up all the pins at once and pull the bulb free from the base. Good idea?

It'd probably be wise to wear gloves and eye protection, of course, but are there other reasons not to try it?

Excessive heating of the tube base could release gas from the metal into the tube, this is a guess from my limited knowledge about metals and glass.

That and the sudden increase or decrease in temperature will probably crack the tube base, don't know.

You can crack a 4mm thick piece of glass with nothing but a 40w light globe you know, I done it yesterday, replaced my 15w Neon Tetra tank globe with a 40w to see if it would get too hot, me being the dumb one went up the back shed and left it by itself, bad idea, the globe got so hot it cracked the 4mm thick glass underneath and sent it and the globe tumbling into the tank, the fish survived mainly I think because of the wooden stand it was sitting upon..

I was half out of my wits yesterday so my inherent ability to walk to the shed to grab something within 1 minute flat was too long.

Moral of the story?, expect the dipping to be a quick one, which can lead to glass temperature difference limitations being exceeded and even if you can't see cracks in the base after this operation they may be there. so leave it sit for a while on the sidelines and watch the getter, see if it progresses into a smaller patch with each passing day, if it doesn't you should be okay, provided everything else is fine.

The best thing that I can think of is the risk of heating the internal structure of the tube, connections inside might come loose so be very weary about vibrations for at least 5 mins after you've done the job.

Good luck!, Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.