"it is just SO hard to get bad sound from EL84 PP amp" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2005, 05:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "it is just SO hard to get bad sound from EL84 PP amp"

Anyone agree/ disagree?? Or is the writer just biased?

Context: amazingly cheap made in China amps.

Cheers
Old 18th March 2005, 05:37 AM   #2
Gaucho is offline Gaucho  Canada
diyAudio Member

Interesting...just yesterday I heard a really nice (and cheap) Italian amplifier with EL84s. I believe it was made by Synthesis.
Old 18th March 2005, 05:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It is just as hard or harder to get really good sound from EL84PP amp
Old 18th March 2005, 09:29 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Certainly PP is harder to get decent than SE, and you can screw up anything, so sure it is possible to get bad sound from an EL84 amp... get it right thou and it is soooo sweet.

dave
Old 18th March 2005, 09:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

This brings up an interesting thought that I need rectifying...

Could I run an EL84 in SE with a 10k ohm OPT with only a 3 WV power limit and still sound good?
Old 18th March 2005, 11:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I thought it was a (somewhat silly) blinkered statement, checking my judgement.

Thanks all kindly.

Old 18th March 2005, 07:39 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Layberinthius
Could I run an EL84 in SE with a 10k ohm OPT with only a 3 WV power limit and still sound good?
I think it may well be less of an issue with power and more to do with the current the OPT will handle before staurating

I would say you can go ahead and try it... the bass will start to go away when overloaded. Triode strapped an EL84 is good for a couple watts max, that may help. Parafeed is also usually beneficail for that as well.

We are going to try some of the IXYS CCS chips with some EL84 SEs and see how that works out (so far parafeed duties have been done with the primamry of an idential OPT)

dave
Old 20th March 2005, 01:50 PM   #8
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 'just so hard'

I disagree, as it is real easy to get crappy sound from any amplifier. If one likes warm tube sound, that is, full of fuzz & distortion, no problem.

Careful design using best tubes, coupling caps, a good power supply design, quality plate resistors in the preamp tube anode circuits plus quality audio transformers will make a transparent tube based amp that lets the music flow.

So far, nothing is better than the GE 6BQ5 grey oval plate in many different amps I and others own. That is a good starting point. Usually the Asian audio transformers are fairly well designed. So, with some part changes & tube rolling, a good amp can be had & EL84 based quality amps do have a nice tone.
Old 20th March 2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
Hello! I too own an old stereo integrated EL84 amp made by an obscure italian brand (Perser), it's cathode biased... The construction seems to be good, it has 2 ECC83 for the phono/pre stages, a ECC82 with chromed-like plates for driver and 2 EL84 per channel. The rectifier is GZ34. Do you think it's worth the restoration or not? I mean, push pull EL84 are good for hi-end or only SE would do? I know that SE is mostly everytime better than PP, but specifically about EL84s?
Old 20th March 2005, 05:16 PM   #10
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi again Giaime,
Yup, go for it. I own good sounding tube amps and solid state amps. Different but both are very enjoyable.
-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!