Sample/hold DC servo circuit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2005, 05:41 AM   #1
IVX is offline IVX  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Default Sample/hold DC servo circuit

hi,
I've started tube/mosfet differential buffer project, which need for the DC servo circuit, but i heard from high-end people that DC servo affect sound quality anyway, if very slow reaction even. Will be the deal better if i'll do measuring/regulating discrete and only 1 time for each 60s(ie. for 1-3 minutes just a hold last value)? Sapmle/hold with switched cap seems will work nicely and not so much complicated. Thanks for any advices!
Old 14th March 2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

If you choose a high quality opamp, I think the sample and hold will give you more disturbance. I have used lately AD8620 and this is not a bad opamp
Old 14th March 2005, 06:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I agree with P - A, output of DC servo make in circuit " virtual ground ", connected in parallel to feedback loop. If you use at this position high quality opamp, degradation of sound quality is insignificant.
Old 14th March 2005, 07:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Holding for more then one minute, do you think that's necessary? BTW, probably bigger cap cheaper solution vs ad8620.
Old 14th March 2005, 07:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah, if the DC servo is slow enough and low frequency noise also, then degradation of sound quality is insignificant.
IMHO, it will be better then nonpolar BG in the feedback pass anyway, but I have decided, that sample and hold will be more solid argument vs ordinary continuously regulating DC servo.
Old 14th March 2005, 08:01 AM   #6
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Each time you sample you will get a step out and depending of how much it is and the rise time you will maybe hear it. How about the S/H circuitry? Far more complex than a single opamp.

The servo speed should be around 0.5-3 Hz I think and this will mean that some signals will slip through up to 100 Hz and a very very very small part up to 1 kHz. AD8620 has extremely good performance up to 1 kHz and up 100 Hz the sonic impact is virtually zero and especially if you compare to the tubes.
Old 14th March 2005, 08:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Schematic, well, i think HC4016(though leakage is too much) +J-FET QUAD(e.g. opa4134) opamp and passive something.
Old 14th March 2005, 08:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Oops, seems the leakage is too much for multiplexer and for opamp also.. 60s hold gave several millivolts ripples, so choice is a continuously regulating or a digital solution.

Hide this!Advertise here!