Marshall Super Lead MkII - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2005, 03:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marshall Super Lead MkII

I found this Marshall on local scrapyard!!! Price was only 50 din (around 0.60) per kilogram .

Click the image to open in full size.

Serial nuber:

Amplifier is without tubes, on shematics missing tubes is 3xECC83 and 4xEL34. All tubes i found in forgotten EI shop in Nis (Serbia, Yugoslavia). Prices was 330 din (4,10) for ECC83 and 680 din (8,50) for EL34.

Amplifier is with 3 original tube sockets, one was changed with plastic (bakelit on serbian) EI made socket. (on picture right over big blue condensators)

I need help with disconnected wire marked with purple circle on picture. All other connections looks good for me.

Tnx for help.
Old 14th March 2005, 01:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default What NO Guitar Freaks

As no-one seems to have replied - must be all HiFi nutters here.

The dangling wire shown in the photo looks like it is the earth side of the speaker output connection. Check that it comes from the output socket connection closest to the rear panel. If that is where it comes from then it needs to connect to the chassis somewhere. Have a look around for a solder tag under a transformer or printed circuit board mounting screw/bolt that looks like its had a wire broken off from it. It should be no further away than the length of the piece of wire and so should be easy to find.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 14th March 2005, 02:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to newkirklabs
What a great find. There is nothing like a Marshall head going full tilt!!

As for the wire, All I can offer is some direction to the schematic. You should be able to find the right one on the link with the info on the amp.

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/schematic...?make=Marshall

Good Luck

Matt
Old 14th March 2005, 04:49 PM   #4
svokke is offline svokke  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Nice find, I'm still dreaping of a finfd like this. Not so many guitar amp lovers over here. The people in the next forum wil go mad if they heard about it: http://vintageamps.com/PlexiPalaceUBBcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
There you can get a lot of advise on these amps.
Old 14th March 2005, 10:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

WWaauuuwww you must have a big big big positive karma to pick up a deal like that! wauw... those things never seem to happen to me.... looks like it can be made running like new again.. good luck!
Old 15th March 2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh, some of us are amp guys. I make a living servicing the things. My pals over at www.ampage.org would be interested in your project as well.

Since it was thrown out, make sure the transformers are not shot. That is the main reason an amp gets discarded. If it does not blow the fuses when powered up but still in standby, that is a good sign. If heater voltage is present that is also good.

Before truning the standby to operate position, check teh resistance of the primary side of the output transofrmer. Check for shorts between secondary and primary there. Check for primary shorted to frame. And before you reconnect that loose wire to ground, make sure the secondary winding is not shorted to frame.

Passing all those tests, flip the standby on without power tubes and see what happens. Make sure the -50v or something similar is on all four pin 5 contacts for the output tubes. Make sure B+ is on pins 3 and 4 of all four power tube sockets.

Then install tubes and go for it.

Hide this!Advertise here!