Hwat should be the best driver for a 520V2 ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2005, 10:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hwat should be the best driver for a 520V2 ?

I want to build a SE-Amp using the mighty EL 520V2 (http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML520B-V2.htm).

Waht would be a good driver ? I was thinking of a MU-Driver like www.triodedick.com suggests, but I find as well DRD very attractive. I understand that I need 90-125V swing, the question is what a good driver tube / how much current should the driver tuber have ?
Old 12th March 2005, 12:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 520V2 looks expensive. This is the first I've heard of it.

What about a GM70 or triode-strapped 813? Their thoriated tungsten filaments will glow nicer, too

In the first operating point data given for the 520V2 you will need 248Vp-p swing to realise full class A1 power. Not exactly an easy task to accomplish well...
Old 12th March 2005, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of these already here icl. the OPT. They are by far the most transparent, dynamic and natural souding tubes I tried. I believe the transparence come as well from the fact that the OPT needs to have only a bit more than 1K and therefore has a better response.

I used to run them in a Welborne Labs Apollo with a 6ea7 as a traditional 2-stage-driver. I have bought some new OPTs etc and want to sart a different approach now.
Old 12th March 2005, 01:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Going from 2Vrms to 88Vrms in a single stage is a big ask. No data is given on input capacitance, which is a shame.

Some valves may be able to do it, given the right circuit. You might be interested in Pete Millett's SE813 design with a single stage 12HG7 driver. Even so, the 813 will be considerably easier to drive than the 520V2.

Hide this!Advertise here!