• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Please confirm my transformer math.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The background is that I have some old output transformers that came out of an SS amp, VERY old. They are 2500 ohm primary / 3.2 ohm secondary. They look like they could be used in a spud amp because they are reasonably large, say at least an inch in every dimension (I don't have them with me right now). So the 6C45Pi is suited to a 5K primary OPT. From RDH4 (attached image) it looks like using an 8 ohm speaker would offset the drop in primary resistance WRT distortion. Is that correct?

Attachments

• rdh4 formula.jpg
    rdh4 formula.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 285
I hate to be a spoilsport, but a cautionary note is in order. Trafos designed for use with BJTs have insulation that can tolerate battery voltages. It's quite possible that the insulation in those old trafos will break down when the CT is connected to a tube B+ rail. Don't forget that the lamination stack will be at ground potential.

Eli Duttman said:
I hate to be a spoilsport, but a cautionary note is in order. Trafos designed for use with BJTs have insulation that can tolerate battery voltages. It's quite possible that the insulation in those old trafos will break down when the CT is connected to a tube B+ rail. Don't forget that the lamination stack will be at ground potential.

So if I ran a long burn-in session with a small fuse in series with the primaries, wouldn't that address that issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.