• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to determine grid leak current?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking at the tube manuals and these does not seem to be part of the specs. Some mention grid leak resistor values.

I ask because I'm going to have grid chokes made for my 50 amp.

I currently use 5,000H 1mA grid choke on my 45 amp and it is ok for many months now. I'm not sure if it will work for the 50 hence I'm looking for this data. I don't want to make the 50 a light bulb and fry it.

Thanks!

arnoldc said:
thank you very much for your input. A friend is giving me a 5,000H 5mA grid choke and I'll figure out measuring the DCR when I get it.

You're welcome :)

It seems you have a lot of nice friends, too :D

arnoldc said:
I still wonder though, how come this spec is not in tube manuals, seems to me as not that critical huh?

I assume it is because the grid current (although small when Vg1 is negative) changes with a whole host of things, and probably would vary with valve age as well since some emissive cathode material may very well sputter on the grid over its lifetime.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.