tube rectifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2005, 01:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
bonsai171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Default tube rectifier

Suppose you have a preamp with solid-state rectification (the Audio Electronic Supply AE-3). Dennis Had, the designer of the preamp (and also Cary Audio owner/designer) offers one particular upgrade for this preamp- tube rectification. The purpose of rectification is to correct osciliations in voltage, correct? What would be the advantage of having him upgrade the preamp to tube rectification, and would it be worth it? I have heard that tube rectification is someone less reliable, are there any other negatives? Thanks!

bonsai
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 06:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Quote:
The purpose of rectification is to correct osciliations in voltage, correct?
No.

Quote:
I have heard that tube rectification is someone less reliable, are there any other negatives?
It is not less reliable. A rectifier tube in a preamp will give you thousands of hours of service before replacement. And much better sound. Enjoy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 08:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
audiousername's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
It is not less reliable. A rectifier tube in a preamp will give you thousands of hours of service before replacement.
Provided they are treated with respect.

I have heard that some (commercial) manufacturers use something like 1000F behind their valve rectifiers with no apparent regard to the charging current those caps will cause.

Valve rectifiers will most certainly not be reliable when mistreated.
__________________
Jason
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 08:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
baggystevo82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Herefordshire
Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
Quote:
1000F behind their valve rectifiers
Ouch!! Just a thought though, you know in PSU designer it tells you when you exceed the current rating of a given rectifier, couldnt you go a little bigger on the first cap as the rectifier turns on slowly? Not instantly as it is simulated. Also are the current ratings of rectifiers absolute, or an average current rating, i.e. more like a max dissipation rating?
Cheers,
Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago area
Quote:
Originally posted by baggystevo82

...when you exceed the current rating of a given rectifier, couldnt you go a little bigger on the first cap as the rectifier turns on slowly?...
Cheers,
Steve
No,

Most (all?, I haven't checked) rectifier tubes have info in the data sheet regarding the max size capacitor you can use immediately after the tube in a circuit. For instance the 5U4-G can have a max of 40uF in a cap input circuit.
__________________
--Sherman
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 02:10 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: tube rectifier

Quote:
Originally posted by bonsai171
What would be the advantage of having him upgrade the preamp to tube rectification, and would it be worth it?
The major advantage will be Had's ability to make this month's payment on the BMW. And the enhancement of your ability to impress the fashionistas with your preamp.

Tube rectifiers have one real advantage: slow warmup. Other than that, they're costly, degrade regulation, inefficient, and hot.
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 02:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Quote:
I have heard that some (commercial) manufacturers use something like 1000F behind their valve rectifiers
Heard? From whom? Doesn't sound very plausible in a commercial design.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 02:53 PM   #8
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherman


No,

Most (all?, I haven't checked) rectifier tubes have info in the data sheet regarding the max size capacitor you can use immediately after the tube in a circuit. For instance the 5U4-G can have a max of 40uF in a cap input circuit.

And with modern electrolytics, which surely must be different from those made 50 years ago, does that number change much?

Sheldon
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 06:52 PM   #9
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago area
Default Re: Re: tube rectifier

Quote:
Originally posted by SY


...Tube rectifiers have one real advantage: slow warmup. Other than that, they're costly, degrade regulation, inefficient, and hot.
But they look so nice! Whenever I've gotten silicon to give that nice orange tube glow it has never lasted very long.
__________________
--Sherman
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2005, 07:03 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
That's a point well beyond argument, I'll grant you!
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4v for rectifier tube camotecue Tubes / Valves 10 20th May 2008 09:20 PM
Tube rectifier help Cobra2 Tubes / Valves 12 3rd March 2007 01:58 PM
Z2b tube rectifier bee696 Tubes / Valves 3 4th November 2006 02:45 PM
Anybody heard about Tarzian Silicon Rectifier for Tube Rectifier Replacement? zxx123 Tubes / Valves 4 21st February 2005 04:02 AM
Tube rectifier for VDIGC tube psu ebijma Chip Amps 2 11th March 2004 04:02 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2