Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2005, 03:20 PM   #1
9am53 is offline 9am53  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to 9am53
Question baxandall tone control

I get the gist that the baxandall tone circuit is superior to the fender/vox/marshall cicuit, and it looks simple to hook up. I have two problems though, how do I choose r/c values for my amp (Bogen CHB20A)? The second will undoubtedly illicit many groans...where do I connect the leads going to ground? My naive intuition says somewhere on the chassis; but my intuition tends to be very wrong! Thank you for your help
Old 8th March 2005, 04:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Whatever the circuit ground is. If it isn't the chassis, it's what all the cathodes eventually drain into.

For values, get Duncanamps' TSC. Putz around until you get impedances, frequencies and ranges as needed.

Tim
Old 8th March 2005, 08:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Baxandal is not optimised for a guitar tone, thats why you dont find it in guitar amps in the first place. Try plugging a guitar into a classic integrated amp and try to get the sound 'correct'. it wont happen because the bass/treble boost is not in the correct frequency.
Stick to fender/vox/marshall circuit.
Old 8th March 2005, 10:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by skyraider
it wont happen because the bass/treble boost is not in the correct frequency.
Well gee, that's just a matter of tweaking the values, which will have to be done anyway.

Tim
Old 8th March 2005, 04:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The reason I dont want to use the f/v/m circuit is because apparently allthought the baxandall circuit has only two knobs it can apparently give you more mid boost. I thought I could tweak it to be good with guitar just with cap and resistor values. What do you guys think?
Old 8th March 2005, 06:15 PM   #6
azira is offline azira  United States
diyAudio Member

Guitar pickups don't have a flat response. They actually have a very pronounced midrange response. The baxandall circuit is for hi-fi audio purposes while the F/M/V circuit is meant for guitars to balance it's output. If you turn the bass and treble all the way down on your guitar and play a few chords you'll hear what your guitar pickup actually sounds like.
--
Danny
Old 8th March 2005, 06:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thanks azira, interesting insight
Old 9th March 2005, 05:36 AM   #8
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

And remember that all these passive circuits are really cut only, nothing "boosts" the midrange. All you can do is cut the highs and lows around it.
Old 9th March 2005, 04:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot guys, I am going to use the old f/v/m circuit, now I just have to figure out how the rest of the amp works!
Old 12th March 2005, 03:54 PM   #10
mlabbee is offline mlabbee  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member

There's a good discussion of tone stacks here: http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tonestacks/index.html

He gives a schem for a Baxandall set up for guitar and I have used it - it works very well.

Disregard the comments about guitar tone above. They are right, but there is nothing inherently midrangey about a Baxandall circuit - you can set it up to have virtually any response you want (see the midrange boost example given in the above link - add a cap, dramatically change the profile). The advantage the Baxandall circuit has is that it provides a great deal more variation in tone with only two knobs vs. less variation in tone with the 3 knob f/v/m circuits.

Baxandall is worth playing with - I've heard they are best for low popwer amps, which is mostly what I build, so I don't know how well it will work in a high power amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!