baxandall tone control - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2005, 10:40 PM   #11
9am53 is offline 9am53  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to 9am53
Hey thanks alot, I thought that I could just change some values to modify it for tone. I stil have some work to do on the4 amp before I actually hook the circuit up. I have a Bogen CHB20A 20 watt PA that I am convertting to a guitr amp. I will look into it and let you know how it went.
Old 12th March 2005, 11:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Just as a matter of interest,

...do you guitar players out there twiddle with the tone controls a lot, or do you find a sound you like & stick with the same settings?
(my amp has only a volume control, so I don't have any choice....must get around to that pre-amp some day...when I do it'll probably only have Treble boost & overdrive...)
Pete McK
Old 13th March 2005, 10:08 AM   #13
benny is offline benny  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to benny
Default Re: Just as a matter of interest,

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteMcK
...do you guitar players out there twiddle with the tone controls a lot, or do you find a sound you like & stick with the same settings?
I personally twiddle quite often, at home I tend to leave it, but when giging I twiddle for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

I also use a Baxandall tone stack in the clean channel in my main amp. Mind you I'm mostly playing jazz and a good jazz tone tends to use a fairly different aproach to most other styles, you just have to hear the charachteristic sound of a good jazz pickup and compare it with most other pickups to tell. In the dirsty channel I use a fvm tone stack (based more on a Marshall, but modified a bit) to provide the basic tone, but in one of the following stages I placed a baxandall tone stack for more control. I've found this set up, while inefficient, gives extremely good results.

Connecting your ground leads to the chassis should hopefully work fine... if it doesn't then you need to do something about grounding the chassis asap...
Old 15th March 2005, 02:29 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Just as a matter of interest,

Personally I dont tend to mess around a lot, I just "set it and forget it" to quote Ron Popeille. I want the circuit to be efficient, I dont want to drill more holes in the control panel of the amps chassis (so the fewer knobs the better), and I would like more control over the tone. This is why I wanted the baxandall... I am leaning towards the baxandall again, but I still have some time before I start the process of installing it, so keep the messages coming.
Old 15th March 2005, 02:34 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hey, for anyone who has any experience with tone stacks...I love hendrix clean tone, hendrix nasty tone, and friedman metal "tone", I will be playing a strat for the most part. What stack do you recommend that can be effective for adjustments in thosesound styles? any and all comments will help.
Old 16th March 2005, 07:21 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

This thread looks like it's pretty well played out, but here's my take on the two tonestacks.

First, all stacks have an insertion loss. Any boost or cut is measured against the insertion loss, generally when the controls are set to flat response.

Having said this, the Fender stack is a boost only stack. That is, when treble and bass are set to minimum, the response is basically flat. You can only boost them from there. This leaves a midrange notch. The midrange control changes the depth of this notch.

The frequency of the notch is typcally set around 400Hz (if I remember right) because this seems to work with the spectrum of the guitar sound.

The Baxandall (or really, I think what most people mean is the James) stack, can boost and cut the treble with respect to the flat response. Boost leaves the notch and cut leaves a peak at the midrange.

The midpoint in this stack is typically set around 1KHz because this seems to suit audio listening best.

Based on what I know, you can't make the Fender stack cut bass and treble, although you can play with the midpoint frequency.

The James stack can be configured in alot of ways, some with lots of boost/cut, some with much smaller amounts.
Old 16th March 2005, 06:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

A small wording correction:

The Baxandall (or really, I think what most people mean is the James) stack, can boost and cut the bass/treble with respect to the flat response.

Hide this!Advertise here!