• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Matisse Line Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a Tube Amp last year with the design of Matisse with two stages of 12AX7 and 12AT7. The power supply was built with separate chassis and use 80 rectifier tube, 6L6 as regulator tube and 6SJ7 as driver.

I didn't like it much because it has a rather harsh sound and shallow stage.

Yesterday, I modified the filtering circuit of the Power Supply from C-L-C to C-L-C-L-C. I adjusted the capacitor to 0.6uF so that it provides 410Vdc at the last capacitor output with load. I used a switch to select direct from the filter and through the tube regulator.

The result of the modification proved that the sonic was much improved with the power supply directly from the CLCLC filter.

My friend modified his tube regulator based on the same design from EL34 pass tube to 6BX7 triode. He called me and said to me the sonic and definitions was improved so much in all high, middle and low tones. He suggested to do the same and I can use the 6AS7 regulator tube to do it.

I would say that it is nice to try out different configurations. You would be amazed how it make the differences in the end result.

Johnny

:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.