Panel mounting on a woode case - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2005, 07:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Panel mounting on a woode case

Hi,
I just built my first tube amp. I built the K-12M kit just to get my feet wet before beginning a bigger project. I'm about to get started building the housing. I'm planning to build a cherry cabinet for it. I have one question though. . . I would like have a volume knob and input selector switch on the front panel but I'm not quite sure how to mount them on something so thick (either 1/2" or 3/4" cherry). Is there a certain type of pot and rotary switch I should be on the lookout for? Is there some other method?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 6th March 2005, 09:14 AM   #2
hkoetz is offline hkoetz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Panel mounting on a woode case

Use a router to make a 35 mm hole on the inside leaving about 3 mm wood in place. Them drill the final hole.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------
| |
| |
| |
| |
------------------------------ -------------------
Old 6th March 2005, 03:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The counterbore from the rear would be my suggestion also. I would and do use a forstner bit or maybe you could do it with a spade bit. Drill the larger hole from the rear first then drill the smaller hole for the shaft of the switch from the front.
Mark
Old 6th March 2005, 03:31 PM   #4
ALBQ is offline ALBQ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mounting on Wood Base

Soulproperty,
Another easy method is to use a dado blade on a table saw to hollow out the panel before gluing the box together. I have found this is a lot easier than using a router - especially when working with hardwoods such as oak. See picture - hollowed out both the front and rear panels. Only took a few passes as just set the rip fence and alternate the work piece.
Cheers - ALBQ

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th March 2005, 01:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice.

I'll give the router a try. I don't have a table saw at the moment so it'll have to do.

Best,
Chris
Old 21st July 2008, 09:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I am planning to mount an amplifier on wood but I'm not sure about its safety. Are there some extra precautions that need to be taken when wood is used? Can everything (amplifier,transformer and heatsink) be mounted on wood? Can it burst into flames after long term use? I don't want to put my house in danger just because I like wood!! Thanks.
Old 21st July 2008, 09:26 PM   #7
smbrown is offline smbrown  United States
diyAudio Member

I built a Stereo SE 45 amp entierly on a wood chassie, no problems at all and it looks great.
Old 21st July 2008, 09:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can everything (amplifier,transformer and heatsink) be mounted on wood? Can it burst into flames after long term use? I don't want to put my house in danger just because I like wood!! Thanks.
Ever read "Fahrenheit 451"
Old 21st July 2008, 10:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I find that Forstner bits work wonders for mounting pots and switches to thick wood enclosures. Just be sure to leave enough meat to safely mount the component.

Kofi
Old 22nd July 2008, 03:32 AM   #10
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I second Kofi's suggestion for the forstner bit, although many suggestions here are good ones. In fact, I just did this very thing tonight with my Aikido preamp chassis.

Hide this!Advertise here!