• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Panel mounting on a woode case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I just built my first tube amp. I built the K-12M kit just to get my feet wet before beginning a bigger project. I'm about to get started building the housing. I'm planning to build a cherry cabinet for it. I have one question though. . . I would like have a volume knob and input selector switch on the front panel but I'm not quite sure how to mount them on something so thick (either 1/2" or 3/4" cherry). Is there a certain type of pot and rotary switch I should be on the lookout for? Is there some other method?

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Use a router to make a 35 mm hole on the inside leaving about 3 mm wood in place. Them drill the final hole.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------
| |
| |
| |
| |
------------------------------ -------------------

Mounting on Wood Base

Soulproperty,
Another easy method is to use a dado blade on a table saw to hollow out the panel before gluing the box together. I have found this is a lot easier than using a router - especially when working with hardwoods such as oak. See picture - hollowed out both the front and rear panels. Only took a few passes as just set the rip fence and alternate the work piece.
Cheers - ALBQ

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am planning to mount an amplifier on wood but I'm not sure about its safety. Are there some extra precautions that need to be taken when wood is used? Can everything (amplifier,transformer and heatsink) be mounted on wood? Can it burst into flames after long term use? I don't want to put my house in danger just because I like wood!! Thanks.

Whut they said.  I use a forstner to inlet both the inside and outside of the same component.  If so, do the outside first.  If you have to sneak up on the depth on the inside to get the right mounting thickness, you'll schmecker the edge of the hole a little easing the bit in.  Inside is not the show surface, so who cares?

On a related note; with the volume control, you now have to actively ground the frame (and shaft, and knob) of the thing, or else it'll sing to you when you touch it.  A charmingly amateur touch, but embarassing.

Aloha,

Poinz

I mounted my switches and pot to a piece of aluminum angle. I then drilled a pilot hole , say 1/16 so that the forstner bits both inner and outer are square to each other on the front panel. After getting the depth I needed for the switches, I opened up the pilot hole to the shaft sizes. I then screwed the pot/switch assy. to the backside of the front panel and grounded it .
Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.