0Z4 as a rectifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2005, 06:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 0Z4 as a rectifier?

I figured I would try something different so I pulled out a 0Z4 from the tube box with the idea of replacing my 5Y3 I am using in my 12B4 line stage. Well, after swinging the plate feed wires over I fired her up and found it gave slightly more voltage than the 5Y3 did. From what I have found out about the 0Z4 it will also replace a #83 gas rectifier.

Problem...

I have a low frequency osscilation from watching the woofer move in and out when I use the 0Z4. When I replace it with the 5Y3 there is no movement.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old 5th March 2005, 10:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default 0Z4

Hey:
The 0Z4 is a gas discharge rectifier used in auto radios of the 50's tube vintage. I guess its ok for cars, but I would not use the tube for home audio.
I would use a solid state rectifier if I could, if you want more voltage. A 5V4 also will give higher B+ if needed.
Hope this helps
Ed
Old 5th March 2005, 11:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply Ed,

You are correct, however the gas discharge tube has been around since the 40's I believe. I had found some information saying it could be used for a substitute for the number 83 tube.
It does work and provides an extra 6volts above and beyond what the 5Y3 did. It or my line stage seems to have a problem.
Its as if I had a signal generator hooked up to it as I am seeing around 2 cycles per second movement of the woofer.

I cannot comment on the plate voltage of the early car radios but I believe this thing needs about 200V per plate to turn on. I guess I will have to check it now to see.
Old 7th March 2005, 12:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Worked great on Frank's 5692 line stage

I tried the 0Z4 in place of the 5Y3 in my "Franks 5692 line stage" and it is dead quiet now. Before it had a slight hum as you put your ear next to the speaker. This rectifier works great because you do not have to supply a 5volt to power a heater. Too bad its in a metal shell. I'll bet it would put out some nice color.
Old 7th March 2005, 01:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Post 0Z4 & 0Z4G

The 0Z4 is from the thirties. This article explains them (better than I ever could). Look under Phanotron. There is a glass version (0Z4G). Beware there are minimum current outputs and breakdown voltages.

http://www.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect27.htm#Phano

Hide this!Advertise here!