• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

0Z4 as a rectifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I figured I would try something different so I pulled out a 0Z4 from the tube box with the idea of replacing my 5Y3 I am using in my 12B4 line stage. Well, after swinging the plate feed wires over I fired her up and found it gave slightly more voltage than the 5Y3 did. From what I have found out about the 0Z4 it will also replace a #83 gas rectifier.

Problem...

I have a low frequency osscilation from watching the woofer move in and out when I use the 0Z4. When I replace it with the 5Y3 there is no movement.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

0Z4

Hey:
The 0Z4 is a gas discharge rectifier used in auto radios of the 50's tube vintage. I guess its ok for cars, but I would not use the tube for home audio.
I would use a solid state rectifier if I could, if you want more voltage. A 5V4 also will give higher B+ if needed.
Hope this helps
Ed

Thanks for the reply Ed,

You are correct, however the gas discharge tube has been around since the 40's I believe. I had found some information saying it could be used for a substitute for the number 83 tube.
It does work and provides an extra 6volts above and beyond what the 5Y3 did. It or my line stage seems to have a problem.
Its as if I had a signal generator hooked up to it as I am seeing around 2 cycles per second movement of the woofer.

I cannot comment on the plate voltage of the early car radios but I believe this thing needs about 200V per plate to turn on. I guess I will have to check it now to see.

Worked great on Frank's 5692 line stage

I tried the 0Z4 in place of the 5Y3 in my "Franks 5692 line stage" and it is dead quiet now. Before it had a slight hum as you put your ear next to the speaker. This rectifier works great because you do not have to supply a 5volt to power a heater. Too bad its in a metal shell. I'll bet it would put out some nice color.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.