Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2002, 09:06 PM   #11
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

ultranalog,
your 1st name starts with R, right?
I attended Aarhus together with Allen Wright and i was one of the two turntable nuts there. I had a beautiful mahogany diyTT with me. Was mostly running at Bert Doppenbergs Oris setup (except at the afternoon when the Ortofon guy demoed his Ortofon Jubilee).

Triode Audition Festival will take place around in Munich coming year, do you intend to come? I will be there.
Old 19th August 2002, 09:56 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ultranalog Send a message via Yahoo to ultranalog
Quote:
your 1st name starts with R, right?
Hmm, now that you say it, I see I removed the name from my sig. Quite inconsiderate. Yes, it's Remco... my apologies.
Quote:
I attended Aarhus together with Allen Wright and i was one of the two turntable nuts there. I had a beautiful mahogany diyTT with me. Was mostly running at Bert Doppenbergs Oris setup (except at the afternoon when the Ortofon guy demoed his Ortofon Jubilee).
Ah....!
Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Triode Audition Festival will take place around in Munich coming year, do you intend to come? I will be there.
No, I don't think so. First year I really enjoyed. Second year was disappointing, this year I did not attend and I heard it was even worse... maybe was never meant to be a repetitive event.

For you though, it'll be right around the corner - thus saving a lot of hauling trouble. Enjoy
Old 19th August 2002, 10:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Say fragman-

I've been following your post. Congratulations on getting the amp going!!

Tubes + Altec = audio bliss, in my book!

I'm curious- how do you have those Altecs mounted?? Big box? Little box?

How about the Xover? 1500 hz?

Peace

Lee
Old 20th August 2002, 01:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Altec 605A

Big box, closed, at the moment. (9+ cuft); variable Xover comes with the 605As, as you know. So, I change it with my mood and impulse.

These speakers are large and heavy but very efficient, me thinks. I hope to experiment with different sizes, vents, materials, damping configs, etc.

I don't know if it is the tubes and Altecs combo or simply the excitement of assembly but I was very pleased with the result!

Thanks for the attention.

Aspiring diyer,
rick
Old 31st August 2002, 02:37 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I found the schematic for the kit amp that I recently built. I must correct the mistake made for the tube number, however. It is 11MS8. I can't find any info on this tube, but it sounds really good (better than my Calrad sa-30b, Heathkit AA 40 and other 3 SS receivers. I was also mistaken on the hum--no hum from amp.

This was a really easy first diy project--my first and it worked! I can't really explain the electronics of it yet--so much to learn!

At $139 and a few hours time--what a blast! And you get a good amp to listen to.

Here's schematic. Hope you like it.

http://store.yahoo.com/lib/webtronics/km12sch.jpg

Rick
Old 31st August 2002, 08:10 AM   #16
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Remco
Quote:
No, I don't think so. First year I really enjoyed. Second year was disappointing, this year I did not attend and I heard it was even worse... maybe was never meant to be a repetitive event.
i am quite sure that on a new location and with other guys organizing the show, it will become a new event.
And ... some of the Munich folks will have some superspecial amps .. i might have such too and some super special tonearms. And it could be quite interesting for you to compare your digital rig with Manfred Huber's or Thomas Mayer's one.
Hmmh, who knows, maybe you change your mind

Hide this!Advertise here!