• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Why?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So that Idiots dont use the 6.3v supply for other heaters as the supply for the diode's filament, therefore making all the heaters biased at +400v :p

Nah.. 5U4, 5Y3, etc are very old designs, back when most tubes used a 5v filament supply. I think. ;)

I you get a diode with a cathode (damper for example) they use 6.3v heaters.

5AQ5s, 3AU6s, 7DJ8s, etc. were used in TVs with series heater strings. A bunch of tubes with the same heater current draw whose heater voltages totalled to 120 V. were wired together.

AMOF, the "A" seen in 7 and 9 pin mini type designations (6AU6A, etc.) indicates controlled heater warmup time. The "A" types are for series heater string service. Profit matters, you know. Save the expense of filament windings in the power trafo. Never mind that when any given heater fails, the whole string goes dark.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Eli,
Yes, and they are used in other things as well. Point is, a 5V heater may be waiting to make someone famous, posthumously. That's what Colt45 was poking fun at I think. There is always some truth in a joke, no?
I think I saw 5AQ5A's used on a computer based amp. Cool and scary at the same time. Computer guy + a couple hundred volts. Wow.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.