• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

amp stages...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I was reading up on this article about turning my Bogen into a guitar amp... http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/old2new.htm
and they use the term "amp stages" in the mapping out of the amplifier. My Bogen uses a 6EU7 preamp tube (Which from what I understand is almost identical to a 12AX7 for those not familiiar with the 6EU7). This tube has a triode and a pentode inside of it. My questions are whether this 6EU7 is used for 2 separate preamp stages, the triode and the pentode? Which should come first? the other 2 tubes are ECL86's, are these both utput tubes? or am I just really confused? thanks for any help anyone gives me on the subject.

Cascaded stages is basically where a the output of a stage is fed to the input of another. Mostly it is where the signal from the anode is fed into the grid of the next stage.

When the anode is directly connected to the cathode of another valve, it is most likely a cascode, which is commonly classified as a single stage. Do you have a schematic of what you mean?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sch3mat1c said:
6EU7 is a slightly lower noise (including new pinout) version of 7025/12AX7A. Dual high-mu small signal triode; no pentode.

Different pin-out as well...

9ls.gif
9a.gif

What output tubes does your Bogen have? (or what model) I was exploring my collection and noticed the 6EU7 for the 1st time in one of the Bogens i have.

dave

planet10 said:

What output tubes does your Bogen have?

dave

The amp has two other tubes, both of which are 6GW8/ECL86's, but as of yet I dont know if they are both output tubes...I will have to check whether they are cascading or cascode(ing), but if they are cascading, is that 2 stages of amplification? I read that the preamp volume control should go, or rather could go, between the first and second amp stages... is this right?

Thanks alot Planet10. I have a midterm tonight, so I wont be able to look at the amp till later, but now that I understand that there are 2 potential amplification stages in the 6eu7, I have an idea of where to start reworking this thing. From what I understand, a push-pull circuit eliminates some harmonics and distortion...this kinda sux for a guitar amp right? do single ended amps povide better guitar tone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.