• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Supply Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using a modified choke input power supply with a 5U4G rectifier followed by a 1uF capacitor feeding a 10H choke followed by another capacitor then another LC section. The supply runs at about 800VDC. What voltage rating should the 1uF capacitor have? PSUD simulations show high voltages appearing at the input of the first inductor, but I'm not sure how to interpret what's happening. TIA.

:)

Dear serengetiplains,

In my opinion, usually, voltage of cap = 1.5 times max voltage. Then, after rectifier valve, caps can be appx. 50uF for safety of rectifier valve; but, someone used 100uF for more bass. He said that cuz of slowly to search the max of valve, so there would not any damage to rec. valve. In fact, there is really more bass.

I am using in // of one pollar cap and one oil non-pollar cap rite after rec. valve. It's good and get very slow tubey sound.

In case of 800V; and you could not find some cap at 1500V; you can // a bunch of cap; it's pretty cheaper and more dynamic sound.

Good luck and keep safety; 800V it's so high voltage.:smash:

my experience with psud2 is that it's a very accurate tool... provided that all values are keyed in correctly, and the correct current source put in to simulate the current drawn by the load.

when the above is done, just take the highest voltage (transient) seen by that cap plus a little headroom. this value should give a comfortable working voltage for the cap.

i did the above for my psu, and i never worry when switching them on. ;)

cominup said:
Dear serengetiplains,

.... Then, after rectifier valve, caps can be appx. 50uF for safety of rectifier valve; but, someone used 100uF for more bass. ...
Good luck and keep safety; 800V it's so high voltage.:smash:

The first cap after a 5U4-G can be 40uF MAX for capacitor input. Latter caps can be larger.

As for voltage of the caps- in my new monobloc I am using a 5U4-G followed by a 40uF and 8H choke and a 100uF for a B+ of 430VDC. Putting my meter on the B+ I see the voltage go from zero to about 520 very quickly and then settle back to 430 over the next 10 or 15 seconds.

Based on that and to provide a safety margin make the caps 1.5 times your B+. Higher won't hurt.

Dear all,

one more things, when I built tube amp, I was using so much old parts to save money and turn back time also. On caps' label, we can see 400V; 400VDC; 400WV. Is there any different rite here??? May be WV means WORKING VOLTAGE? so, what is max voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.