• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

heater wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm no expert but I would think the chance of inducing hum would be much greater if the heater wires were in the same cable as the B+. I would run them separately. If that isn't possible then maybe twisting the AC wires together and shielding the DC would be enough.

hum , hum

That sounds practical .I saw a picture in the photo galery and he used just one cable to teh socket. I gues you would have to prototype and test different methods . I assume you need a load on the power supply when testing . What would be a good way to just fire up the powersupply only ?

Re: hum , hum

tenderland said:
... he used just one cable to teh socket. I gues you would have to prototype and test different methods . I assume you need a load on the power supply when testing ...

If all you want to do is see if the heater AC is junking up the B+ you could just put a power resistor on each to load them a bit then put a scope on the B+ to see if you have any interference. I don't think you'd have to match the load exactly to your real-life set up.

Re: load

tenderland said:
After reviewing the power suply section of the print it looks like ther is a voltage divider loading it . On the B+ line ther is a 220 k in series with 68k to ground. I think that should be ok , yes ?

Depends on the wattage but yes I think it should be OK. Report back on your results. I would be very interested in how it works out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.