• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube distortion effect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jim

Why not try a simple line stage to add that bit of valve warmth.

As an alternative to all the usual line stage arrangements you might also like to try a cathode follower output BUT using a 6ES8 variable mu tube. Set at the right bias current this introduces SMALL amounts (because of the 100% feedback in a cathode follower) of compression on the negative going half of the signal, as current drops and mu drops with it. This introduces asymetrical distortion - almost pure 2nd Harmonic. The effect is very subtle but quite lovely. Too much distortion for you? - simply pull the 6ES8 and substitute a 6DJ8.

Cheers,
Ian

Well, none of the tube gurus are answering, so I'll say what I would do if I were you, assuming that I understand correctly that you are looking for an actual working schematic and not design ideas.

Go to one of the many guitar amp schematic sites and find a tube amp with a 3 stage front end (ignore the power tubes) with at least one pentode and that suits your fancy (I would be looking at Marshall myself). Here is your basic schematic, and you can add a switch to strap/unstrap the pentode(s) to triode. Then you have your triode/pentode distortion modes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.