A sorry tale which will make you cry !!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2005, 11:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A sorry tale which will make you cry !!!

Hi there,
Yesterday I was picking my 8yr old daughter from a friends party. I got to talking to the mother of the friend, and in the course of the conversation I admired an old valve radio she had.
She went on to tell me that her father, who had dies about six months ago, used to be a T.V./radio service engineer.
This is the bit that will make you cry. She said that after he died they cleared his work shed, but didn't know what to do with all the old Valve kit, so they just threw it in a skip. It took three skips to clear the work shed. She said that there was a huge range of valves, some tansmitter size, and even some complete amplifies. She said that if she knew I was interested in that kind of stuff I could have had it all for free.

Now thats a tale to make anyone cry.

Shoog
Old 27th February 2005, 12:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Oh dear...

That really is a sad tale. I'd hate to think what kind of rare goodies were in there only to be crushed...
Old 27th February 2005, 03:55 PM   #3
kmtang is offline kmtang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hear that tale. It seems it would happen to everyone of us too.

I have told my daughter that the tube amps that I built will be left to her to enjoy the music.

My suggestion to the lady that she could post the tubes, amplifiers, radios etc on E-Bay so that we could make use of them and enjoy them.

Johnny
Old 27th February 2005, 04:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sivan_and
Old radio size about 2 feet wide, 2 feet high, 2 huge 8inch speakers in front radio has dial with stations clearly marked by names...this is what i found in one shop here in Calicut...
a valve amplifier stereo too...very dirty,wooden cabinet.massive chassis ..the shop owner is least interested as if i will loose money buying it...So what do u feel !
Stop CRYING...come to Calicut!!!
Old 27th February 2005, 04:28 PM   #5
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

ya know... it's gotta be a passive agressive thing with these women who are married for DECADES to a man who does this stuff. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE that they don't know what the stuff is worth, OR who the guy's friends in the biz or hobby are??

I've heard this so many times over the years.

These women must have really hated the guy or the work/hobby.

That's the only reasonable explanation I can find.

That or just plain DUMB as a brick.

Geez.

_-_-bear
Old 27th February 2005, 05:26 PM   #6
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

You'ld be surprised what people consider junk when it's outside their area of interest, even those who should know better. It's the reason after twenty years in radio I own a McIntosh MC240, RCA DX77, SK-46 and D50 microphones, a couple of Western Electric Birdcages, plus other cool stuff all for free. "You want that old junk!? Take it, please...". The stuff some places thew out makes me cry, like RCA field coil speakers in original cabinets along with matching RCA amps, 1930's Western Electric mixers, etc.
Old 27th February 2005, 05:46 PM   #7
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Sad as it is, I think this happens more and more.
Small repair techs are getting sparse as consumer goods tend to get cheaper every day.
No one is willing to pay for the business if the old ones stop or die.
So the wife, who didnít inhale the solder fumes lives longer and tosses everything away after her husband dies. It happened twice in my area and I was happy to pay a tiny amount for the whole workplace of dead colleagues.

/Hugo
Old 27th February 2005, 06:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've discovered in this life that if you are in the "groove", this disaster just wouldn't of happened. Unfortunately fate has not been smiling on me lately, so this disaster was somewhat inevitable.

Shoog
Old 27th February 2005, 06:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiousername
Oh dear...

That really is a sad tale. I'd hate to think what kind of rare goodies were in there only to be crushed...

Yeah... It is indeed sad if a loved one dies.....

Jan Didden
Old 27th February 2005, 06:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What indeed was sad, from a personnal perspective, is that this old man had a passion which he probably couldn't share with anyone, and yet just around the corner was I who had the same passion. We could have been friends, and I'am certain he would have enjoyed sharing his lifetimes worth of experience with a keen novice, adding quality to both of our lives.

Shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!