• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Car preamp with Aikido

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I still haven't built a preamp, but needing a small preamp, with a max of 8V for my car's subwoofer amplifier (it's being driven with 2V, with the amp regulator almost on max., since the woofer is a 12" unit, sealed), i decided to ask if this would do ok, or if any other sugestions would appear.
I'm thinking on using a small HF switch mode psu, so noise would be already subdued by the aikido.

It's just that i want a tube somewhere on the car, to be a unique and personal kind of setup.

Thank you very much!

Hi Simpleton (somehow that feels so wrong :)),

I've done quite a bit of spice simulation of the Aikido circuit and if the tube models are accurate (Duncan amps) the Aikido's power supply rejection strengths are strongest at low frequencies. At some knee point (typically in the range of 10 kHz, depending on tube, etc.) PSRR starts decreasing linearly at 6 dB per octave starting from between -30 dB and -40 dB.
Again, these are all simulation numbers not yet confirmed on the bench so reality may vary. If it were my project I'ld still approach a switching supply with caution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.