• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Active crossovers using Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I did a little searching and got frustrated when I couldnt find any information on the exact topic I wanted(or at least it wasnt plain as day right in my face)

So.... I thought I'd ask the experts here on DIYaudio

Can Tubes be used for an active crossover?

Do any tube crossovers exist?

The reason I thought about this is because I recently bought some new drivers for my mains(Extremis midwoofers and Vifa DX25 tweeters) and I was thinking about crossovers and was highly considering going active.

Well I thought for a second, active crossovers use transistors. Transistors are also used in solid state amps. While Tubes are also used in amps. So it kinda struck me that MAYBE(big maybe) tubes could also be used in active crossovers.

Any thoughts....?
In REF: to your Questions: for$US 1400 Not Working and another MODEL Ref: Tube ACTive 3 Way Crossover , yes They Sound VERY Good, I saw one advertised on E Bay in USA SITE (1) 2 WAY Model A2002 LUXMAN Built in
1973, A chap advertised Them on E BAY Not Working Condition For $1400, and also saw another one MODEL A2003 LUXMAN 3 Way ACTIVE in good working condition $ 2400 USD,
I have Heard the 3 Way Model While on Holidays in Sri Lanka He has Connected 3 Power Amps to His Set Up 1 AMP was a PHASE LINEA Solid State Power Amp for His Bottom ENd and The other 2 Amps which was The DYNACO ST 70 POWER AMP, and The 3 Amp for His Tweeters was a ENGLISH AMP LEAK Tube Mono Block Power AMP.
I just Spoke to him 4 weeks ago and I said that I would Like to Build The Luxman PoActive Crossover, and he Said that He could Get a Copy of The SCHEMATIC CIRCUIT from The Original SERVICE MANUEL and post it to me for $:90 USD for a Copy,

I also saw on The Net and Bought a PETE MILLET SCHEMATIC CIRCUIT , PCB I paid $: 103 for The Circuit and The PCB Board The one I bought is a 2 Way ACTIVE TUBE Circuit, includes The Parts List,
I am about to Advertise the PCB and The Schematic Circuit with the Parts List this Circuit uses 6 Matched Sextet 6922/ECC88 Tubes, I also bought a New set of Tubes and Spent $: Australian $146. Shou you want The tubes and the Circuit including , I will be willing to accept $: 200 AUD for The Lot.
As I have Now ordered the LUXMAN Copy of The Manuel, From The guy in SRI Lanka, and when I get it I will Get a Qualified Technician to Build it for me,
I also Got a The JBL PARAGON Speakers which I heard in This guys House in SRI LANKA. I too own a Pair of JBL SOVERIGN Speaker Cabinets which uses the same Componets as The PARAGON, and also Own a Pair of The Famous KLIPSCH LA SCALA Speakers.
Should you be interested in The 2 Way PCB and The Tubes , I am willing to negiotiate a Price with you.
Kind Rgds
Francis Jansz
P,S Note, My technician Used to work for ENCELLS HI Fi in AUSTRALIA who Marketed LUXMAN Products but He has Never Heard of The 3 Way Crossover here in Australia, And he Also worket for HARMON Kardon, as a Technician, and Stated That the Parts for Building The 3 Way Active which uses 8 X 12AY7, may cost around $: 1800, to Build.

Regards
Francis Jansz:eek:

3 way 8 Tube LUXMAN ACTIVE CROSSOVER Model A2003

I'll have to dig it out of the closet, but I have an old Lux tube crossover. 3-way, all triode. Each filter is selectable 6/12 dB/octave. Frequencies are controlled via little plug-in boards with the filter caps soldered on them. Q is adjustble. Pretty cool unit. The one I have had some PS mods done to it.

Gizmo talked about this unit as being part of his epiphany on going all-tube active, but otherwise I didn't get much info on it when I googled. It's on my 'should probably think about selling, since I'm not going to use it' list, if there is any interest.
Hi My NAME is FRANCIS Jansz,
Please let me know the MODEL of The 3 Way Tube ACTIVE LUXMAN AMP, and if possible please send me some photos of the FRont Panel and The Back panel, and how much will you accept for it, as I may be interested in it and also what tubes are on it.
Kind Regards
Francis Jansz
AUSTRALIA
e m. fsj@iprimus.com.au

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.