• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Complete" SE KT88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some pics of my newly "complete" single ended KT88 monobloc. (Still have to build the other one.) Please ignore the ugly temporary base. It is something I threw together this morning from some poplar I had laying around.

First here is the amp in front view-

Attachments

• frontontempbase.jpg
    frontontempbase.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 943
Sound?

First I want to say thanks to everyone on this forum that helped me out. Particularly Mikael Abdellah whose schematic I used with only a very small modification, Frank, Sch3matic, SY, Dave (Planet10) and lots of others. This wouldn't have been possible without this forum! Thanks everyone.

So far I've only tested it with a cheap speaker. Input is from my preamp connected to a CD player. When the other one is finished and I have some proper bases I'll bring 'em up and test with better equipment.

First of all the amp is absolutely quiet. No hum or buzz whatsoever from the speaker, even with my ear inches away. Second the sound, even with my cheap test speaker is pretty amazing. Bass extension is excellent, highs are crisp and the midrange is very good. Diana Krall, even in mono sounds great.

Nothing exotic in the construction. 1/8" aluminum top plate sanded with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper and sprayed with a couple coats of clear gloss acrylic. Power iron is a Hammond 273BX and a Hammond choke (8 henry) filtered with ASC oil caps. A .22uF Auricap coupling cap between the Svetlana 6N1P driver and the Valve Art KT88. Rectification courtesy of a 5U4-G (which looks great too).

The best part may well be the James 6123HS output transformer. I had a difficult time deciding between the James and a Hammond 1628SE but I am very happy I went with the James, even though it meant painting the Hammond iron to get some sort of match.

I'm anxious to get started on the twin so I can listen in stereo!

Thanks for the auditory report Sherman, looking good! I have a pair of James 6123HS hung up in the dimensional warp known as Canadian Customs right now, slated to replace the 1628se's in my amp. Haven't given up on the latter yet, going to try them Ultralinear SE with some spare 5881's.

rdf said:
...The courier delivered the James 5 minutes ago. Pictures don't do the quality of construction justice... Not sure you want to hear it but James is making them in black now.

Glad to hear you got them! My amp is connected ultralinear also.

The Hammonds I received had a very poor level of finish with some spots and runs. The bolts holding the bells on appeared to have been cut to length with wire cutters. Even if I had gotten black James transformers I probably would have repainted the Hammond iron. :smash:

You are right about the James units. The quality of the finish is superb and based on my limited listening so far the guts must be equally well done.

resident said:
...Why you didn't post it to photo gallery?

What kind of wire are you using from the input RCA to first tube?
It's a shielded but brand?

I didn't want to post it in the photo gallery until I have the other one done and real bases built. :D

Yes, I used 2 conductor shielded wire from the input jack to the first tube. It is just a spool I picked up at Radio Shack. I like it because the shield is stranded copper instead of foil like some brands. It is easy to twist the shield into a thin wire and to solder.

Mikael Abdellah said:
Really nice job! :)

I'm glad you like the amp. I think it's a great amp, and I can't understand why no one had made a simple schematic like that before me.

Mikael,
Thanks again for the schematic. I think I mentioned when I first saw it that I had been planning on building a single ended design with ECL82 tubes. But when I saw your schematic it was only a bit more involved than the ECL82 and I knew it would be a nicer amp. I'm glad I built it. It sounds great.

Today I drilled the top plate for the second monobloc. I should have everything mounted and wired up in a couple days. Then I have to decide on the wood for the bases. Maybe cherry.

I also put the scope on the completed one for some preliminary testing. At 1 KHz it appears to be making about 8 watts before clipping! That's a bit more than I expected. I haven't yet tested output at other frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.