• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need PP KT-88 amp design and KT-88 for triode use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

I have a friend who is wanting to build a quality KT-88 amplifier to use with his Jordan JX92S TL speakers.

He is considering building an Andea Giuffoli PP 20 watt KT-88 design at the below link.

1. Does anyone have any experience with this amplifier?

2. Do you think the 20 watts of class A power will be enough to drive the 88db Jordan TL with enough authority?

3. Are there any other designs that he should be considering to build besides the Andrea Giuffoli design?

4. Do you know which current production KT-88 that would work well strapped in triode mode with excellent sonic results?

Thanks for all of your help.

Norris Wilson

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/pp3.html

1: Yes. Have built variations of this idea, but used parafeed for the IT as I had no SE IT's at the time. I used 6C45 and 8532's as drivers from memory and like the hot and low operating point of the output stage. It's a good little amp. I personally prefer a full differential design though.

2: It measures at about 11WRMS. The 20W number is a 'peak' power. As for it being enough, I dunno, depends on a lot of factors such as room size, listening levels, use of subs etc. I would consider it just enough, in my (very large) room on 104dB/W speakers.

3: Svetlana winged C, though the EH's are getting good reports from friends

Best KT 88 Triode Straped

The best are same family of tubes called KT90 generation II in triode connection service. The newer production tubes have quality issues.

Another possible option are perhaps the new manufacture Tung-Sol label 6550 tubes just released. A few reviews are stating the tubes are of quality. I would prefer to read a few more reviews before making any commitment. The tubes have a 35-watt plate that requires a look at the plate current in regard to biasing in your proposed circuit.

Re: Best KT 88 Triode Straped

amperex said:
The newer production tubes have quality issues.

Another possible option are perhaps the new manufacture Tung-Sol label 6550 tubes just released.

That's interesting.........In the past I've been scathing about EI KT90 quality.......busted internal welds /shorts etc .....been so bad that I've had to replace all with 88's. Naturally I moaned to the company....but heard nothing.

If the Tungsol coke bottle 6550's have an anode dissip of 35W+ 6W screen diss..is Tungsol are keeping their cards close to their chest in not saying an "A "version equivalent to KT88. To me it seems pointless in producing yet another 6550 gereric...we are flooded with them, if they produced an A version then they would qualify headon for KT 88 competition....yes/or no ?
(By the way where are the Tung's coke bottles made ?)

richj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.