Effect of cross-coupled "local" FB on plate load of previous stage - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2005, 10:33 AM   #21
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

My only remaining problem with his circuit, now that I understand it better, is the low level of bias on the first stage. I measured only 0.5 v between each 6SL7 cathode and ground. This would not allow a big enough input signal, as I understand it.
Old 15th April 2005, 03:52 PM   #22
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth
My only remaining problem with his circuit, now that I understand it better, is the low level of bias on the first stage. I measured only 0.5 v between each 6SL7 cathode and ground. This would not allow a big enough input signal, as I understand it.
Remember, there is local feedback and a negative supply....

Sayonara

PS, trust me, this circuit works as drawn and very well indeed.
Old 27th April 2005, 08:45 AM   #23
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Remember, there is local feedback and a negative supply....
I'm sorry, I don't see how that helps ... unless you're implying that the unbypassed individual resistors in the 6SL7 cathodes allow the cathode potential to "follow" the grid potential, thereby "opening up" the bias, so as to make it effectively much greater than it appears to be? Or does the "long tail" do that anyway? (I'm rather uncertain about this, I must admit.)
Old 27th April 2005, 09:55 AM   #24
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth
I'm sorry, I don't see how that helps ... unless you're implying that the unbypassed individual resistors in the 6SL7 cathodes allow the cathode potential to "follow" the grid potential, thereby "opening up" the bias, so as to make it effectively much greater than it appears to be? Or does the "long tail" do that anyway? (I'm rather uncertain about this, I must admit.)
Consider the cathode resistors to the negative supply as imperfect current sources. Consider the cathode coupled through a modertae value resistor value (1...2K in my case). Now consider what happens if the respective valve starts to conduct (both balanced and SE Drive).

Sayonara

Hide this!Advertise here!