• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Problem with my Darling!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
philipbarrett said:
The coupling caps would be the 27uF films connecting the 6J4 plate to the 1626 grid I assume?

Yes those are the coupling caps, but I hope the value was a typo. 27uf is probably 100 times too big! It could also play havoc with clipping input signals because grid current would want to charge the cap.

Maybe try a smaller cap (much smaller - like less than 0.5uf - I'd shoot for 0.1uf) *and* testing with a smaller signal.

My Darling

Attachments

• 1626_se.jpg
    1626_se.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 188
Been through the whole thing with 3 fine tooth combs! Then I got a technician friend (who builds balls-to-the-walls tube guitar amps) to go through it with a 4th! He has all the test gear, dual-trace scopes & the like. Gotta suspect the tubes here at this point.

The up-side of all this is that I've learned a lot. If I'd plugged the thing in & it had worked first time I'd have been thrilled but I wouldn't have got the tube trouble shooting experience. I've had to pore over data sheets, brush up my basic electrical theory, figure out how to test various areas, so it's really been a positive experience.

P

philipbarrett said:
274K, BTW, why am I sitting at my computer today? Because Chevrolet cannot design an interior lighting system that actually stays off once you've left the car. Try cranking a 350 with one of those Pep Boys dollar-three-eighty chargers, as my teen daughter would say "sad!"

P

hehe count your blessing...now you get to obsess about your non working amp.

and so do i hahah.

274k sounds all good and i'll take your word they are hooked up correctly :0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.