Anybody heard about Tarzian Silicon Rectifier for Tube Rectifier Replacement? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2005, 09:55 PM   #1
zxx123 is offline zxx123  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anybody heard about Tarzian Silicon Rectifier for Tube Rectifier Replacement?

I found a strange part from garage. It says that it is an tube rectifier replacement for tube socket.

I tried in my SE amp. It worked, but B+ was higher than tube rectifier. It seems to be a kind bridge diode.

Anybody heard about this brand and part?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (25.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 19th February 2005, 10:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Hm, quite a few hits on Google, though no datasheets yet. Looks to be a replacement for 5U4/5Y3/etc. (any rectifier with that base), rated 1600PIV 0.75A (probably total DC output, not per diode; two series pairs of 1N4007s would be rated 2kV, 2A the same way).

Depending on how old it is, it might be worth something. Or just a piece of junk. *shrug*

Tim
Old 19th February 2005, 10:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sakes/Tarzain is a name out of my youth. I can remember when they introduced 500 mA. Silicon diodes that mounted in 3AG fuse holders.

That device is "2" diodes mounted on an Octal socket with a covering can. That the B+ is somewhat higher is to be expected, as PN diodes have a MUCH lower forward voltage drop than vacuum diodes do. Expect a considerable amount of switching noise from those old diodes. If your amp's PSU has a choke in its filter, the noise is removed from the B+. In any event, switching noise could get into the signal path via filament windings on the power trafo.

If you like, run a Google search against 1N????, as that's the part number.
Old 20th February 2005, 02:21 AM   #4
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That device is "2" diodes mounted on an Octal socket with a covering can. That the B+ is somewhat higher is to be expected, as PN diodes have a MUCH lower forward voltage drop than vacuum diodes do. Expect a considerable amount of switching noise from those old diodes. If your amp's PSU has a choke in its filter, the noise is removed from the B+. In any event, switching noise could get into the signal path via filament windings on the power trafo.
I believe the Tarzian units have a voltage dropping resistor inside as well. They generally have part numbers as drop-in replacements for a variety of tube rectifiers. I have seen many of these used in FAA euipment where application is critical.

John
Old 21st February 2005, 05:02 AM   #5
zxx123 is offline zxx123  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks..

I found spec. paper in another box.
They say same as both of you explained to me.
Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!