• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anybody heard about Tarzian Silicon Rectifier for Tube Rectifier Replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a strange part from garage. It says that it is an tube rectifier replacement for tube socket.

I tried in my SE amp. It worked, but B+ was higher than tube rectifier. It seems to be a kind bridge diode.

Anybody heard about this brand and part?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 200
Sakes/Tarzain is a name out of my youth. I can remember when they introduced 500 mA. Silicon diodes that mounted in 3AG fuse holders.

That device is "2" diodes mounted on an Octal socket with a covering can. That the B+ is somewhat higher is to be expected, as PN diodes have a MUCH lower forward voltage drop than vacuum diodes do. Expect a considerable amount of switching noise from those old diodes. If your amp's PSU has a choke in its filter, the noise is removed from the B+. In any event, switching noise could get into the signal path via filament windings on the power trafo.

If you like, run a Google search against 1N????, as that's the part number.

That device is "2" diodes mounted on an Octal socket with a covering can. That the B+ is somewhat higher is to be expected, as PN diodes have a MUCH lower forward voltage drop than vacuum diodes do. Expect a considerable amount of switching noise from those old diodes. If your amp's PSU has a choke in its filter, the noise is removed from the B+. In any event, switching noise could get into the signal path via filament windings on the power trafo.

I believe the Tarzian units have a voltage dropping resistor inside as well. They generally have part numbers as drop-in replacements for a variety of tube rectifiers. I have seen many of these used in FAA euipment where application is critical.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.