• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Voice of Music 555 phonograph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm cleaning up a 1953 V-M 555 phonograph. It's mahogany and labelled "Ambassador Model MHF 400" on the inside. The photo in the 555 owner's manual that came with it is a match, so I assume that V-M must just be the OEM for Ambassador in 1953. Anyway...

I'ts in exellent condition. I have been advised that the electolytic caps in the tube amp should be replaced. They could fail and destroy everything in their path, and I suspect that they are contributing to a mild but irritating hum. What type/brand of cap should I replace these with - assuming that the values are clearly marked on the originals?

The only other part that shows any decrepitude is the transformer. It's an old exposed winding with disintigrating oilpaper. Is there any special type I should replace this with?

Thanks for any advice. This is a really wonderful little phono to stack old albums from the same era and earlier. The sound is just perfect.

Sure. any 'lytic caps will work.

As for mild hum, it could just be an inferior power supply design in the first place. What does it have for a filter?

I'd worry more about the wax-paper caps though, than the electrolytics.

Hammond makes a whole wack of different tube power and output transformers, maybe look into that.

Is that "Sams Photofacts Radio Index List"?
Is this something that I can access online?
I wonder if anyone might also comment on how difficult
it would be to replace the ceramic cartridge with
a magnetic one (just an inexpensive grado or shure).
Would this be at all worth any effort?
I'm more concerned with limiting damage to the vinyl than
the actual fidelity. There is zero compliance in the needle cantilever
on the stock cartridge. Any out-of-roundness in the pressing has to be handled entirely by the rather bulky arm.
To some extent, is it best just to stop before you start to look at any mods to an old unit like this? In which case, it's no more than a museum piece - no? I really like the classic sound of it, but I'm not such a purist that I would object to readily done improvements where they are merited.
Thanks again for the advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.