• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Classe A 6550 40W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did someone tried to build this? Can somebody help me translate specs of the OPT intended for this amp?

Thanks.:)

Attachments

• canal.jpg
    canal.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 421
Nice little circuit....simple to build.......the 460v B+ is at the upper running limit for 6550's with UL taps. Dropping the B+ to 400V will give 35W with 400 ohm cathode resistors and allows versatility with all sorts of o/p tubes.
I see alot of these types of circuits in guitar amps typ B+400V......and work well with mixed tubes in o/p stage from 5881's.....EL34's KT88's 66's & all work in lieu...

rich

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
A 50W OPT would be fine.And if the OPT is a good quality one maybe you will not need the RC network at the secondary.This network is used for bad quality OPTs.
Where is a French guy to explain what "prices ecran a" means.Maybe taps are at 34% and the guy wrote it at the"wrong" way.The common UL taps are from 30% to 45%.
At 40% is for more linearity but with less power and around 33% is for more power but with less linearity.

Notice that there is only one tap at the secondary!
OPTs with only one tap secondary,with all secondary windings in parallel behaves better than those with multitaps.See Lundahl specs.

Hey-Hey!!!,
You might want to consider the 16% as a load percentage. root(.16) leaves a more notmal screen tap point, exactly 40%.

It is certainly class AB1 and I must say I would not consider building the front end that way. Looks simple enough, and as to sound, I have never heard it....

Do this one with a 6BQ7, 6550's and B+ of ~350v and a 5k OPT for about 35 Watts. It will be Class A if you put the bias at +100 mA.

The balanced NFB scheme is called E-Linear.
regards,
Douglas

Attachments

• tinyelin2_poinz3.gif
    tinyelin2_poinz3.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 210
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.