• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plate curves or Op Point for 6KN8?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have seached fruitlessly all over the web and cannot seem to find much information other than basic summary data for this valve. There have been a few cryptic (generally positive) postings on this forum which imply that some here have used this tube, so I'm crossing my fingers that a memeber may have some data on the plate curves or a suggessted operating point.

The 6KN8 looks to be a really promising device with a mu in the 40's and Rp around 2k.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

I've been using it in various apps over the years; it's a high mu version of the ECC88 family, sourced from Japan. It's happy at 8-10mA of plate current, works great in preamps. No curves, alas; even Frank's page is stumped.

Hi Sy,

having a higher mu, would you say the 6KN8 is even better in the role of a cathode follower?

i am thinking of implementing a version of your Impasse preamp using 6H23, driving a 4KN8 concertina for a balanced output...

as i do not need the higher output swing, can i use a lower b+ so that i can use those 250 volt caps i have in plenty?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.